front suspension

-

leblanc

member 2883
Reaction score
The front suspension on my Dart Sport will not come down to the level it should now that the engine is back in it. The shocks are frozen in the up position and I can't compress them. WHAT do I do Now? I have to compress the front ones to take them out but how?

The front suspension on my Dart Sport will not come down to the level it should now that the engine is back in it. The shocks are frozen in the up position and I can't compress them. WHAT do I do Now? I have to compress the front ones to take them out but how?

If you jack the front end up until the wheels are off the ground, the shocks will be extended and you can then remove and find out whats going on.

when the weight was off the front end the tires came in closer together. And now that you've loaded weight back in the tires are gripping and not sliding back out. Try rolling the car around a little bit. Or even just jacking up the front end just enough to clear the floor and let it down quickly. Mine did the same when I swapped engines, and I thought I f*%ked up.

that is one of the problems the shocks are extended, i jacked up the car but the shocks wont come out if you can't compress them. I might have to cut them off or something.

Never heard of a shock doing that before. And the possibility of both "freezing up" exactly the same way at exactly the same time is pretty remote. I would be more inclined to think something is in the way of the lower control arms preventing them from moving.

Stupid question time.......

You didn't by chance do anything with those adjusters in the middle of your lower control arms did you?

that is one of the problems the shocks are extended, i jacked up the car but the shocks wont come out if you can't compress them. I might have to cut them off or something.

Sounds like these are gas charged shocks....If so, jack up the car and put jack stands at the frame rails. This will allow the lower control arm to hang down as low as it will go. Then you should be able to compress the shocks enough to pry them out.

Hope this helps.....

-
Back