Front tire and rim size, Help.

-

Richard McLaughlin

1974 Duster 340
Reaction score
I have decided to go with American Outlaw i 15"x8 (with 4" BS) on the rear, with MT sportsman ST 275/60r15.

On the front will be American outlaw i 15"x6, but unsure about Backspacing and tire size. The most narrow Sportsman ST is 215/70r15, would that work? Right now I have 205/75r14. I kinda wanted to have the same tires on all 4 but am open to suggestions.

Would the 215/70r15 fit best on a rim 6" wide? What would the backspacing be?

Thanks,

Richard

6" wheel you want 3.75"-4.25" backspacing. At nearly 27" the 215/70R15 might be a little too tall. I know that on Darts it sometimes gets very close at the front/bottom edge of the fender wheel opening when you turn the wheels sharply.

6" wheel you want 3.75"-4.25" backspacing. At nearly 27" the 215/70R15 might be a little too tall. I know that on Darts it sometimes gets very close at the front/bottom edge of the fender wheel opening when you turn the wheels sharply.

Thanks, I was worried about that. I suppose I could go with a 14" outlaw rim and just use the same 205/75r14's I have now. How can I tell what BS my rallye rims on the front has now? It is a stock mopar rallye rim.

I run 205/70-15 on my Dart Sport but they are on 7'' rims, since yours are on 6'' and 215, they would definitely be taller so you might ha to raise the front end a bit but if they don't rub you would be good to go.
Your 205's and 215's will accept a 5 1/2 to 7 1/2 inch rim and 275's 8-10''.

Last edited:
I run 205/70-15 on my Dart Sport but they are on 7'' rims, since yours are on 6'' and 215, they would definitely be taller so you might ha to raise the front end a bit but if they don't rub you would be good to go.
Ok. How do you raise the front and rear anyway? I like the look of the rear raised a bit but not sure how to do it.

Rear would be new leaf springs more than likely to get more lift.

For the front you would adjust the height of your torsion bars. If you can't do it yourself (or a friend) you would need help from a front end shop or somebody who does front end work. (Mopars are different than GM.)

Thanks, I was worried about that. I suppose I could go with a 14" outlaw rim and just use the same 205/75r14's I have now. How can I tell what BS my rallye rims on the front has now? It is a stock mopar rallye rim.
Backspace is simple to measure. Measure from the lip of the wheel's rim to the surface that touches the hub/rotor.
129-0910-02-z%2Btruck-wheel-rims%2Bmeasure-backspacing.jpg

Looks like this one is about 3 3/8" ?

For the front you would adjust the height of your torsion bars. If you can't do it yourself (or a friend) you would need help from a front end shop or somebody who does front end work. (Mopars are different than GM.)
You do need a front end shop. Because as soon as you change the ride height you have also changed the camber and the toe.

Ok. How do you raise the front and rear anyway? I like the look of the rear raised a bit but not sure how to do it.
Richard, with 26"-27" tires on the front, and 28" tires on the rear, you will automatically have the rear higher than the front. Maybe wait and see how it looks, before jumping into changing springs and ride heights.

Ok, sorry, the rim is actually 15x7, with 3.76 Back Space.
What would be my best bet for tire size? And brand/model of tire.
I do like the look of much skinner tires up front.
Thanks!

Ok, sorry, the rim is actually 15x7, with 3.76 Back Space.
What would be my best bet for tire size? And brand/model of tire.
I do like the look of much skinner tires up front.
Thanks!
That isn't really enough backspacing on a 7" wheel. 4.25" would be ideal. Well.... it might be O.K. with a really skinny tire, but you won't be putting anything too skinny on a 7" wheel. Maybe you could find a 205/70R15 (8" wide x 26.3" dia.). I sure would not guarantee it'll fit though.

-
Back