front tire size dilemma

-

cudachaser

Reaction score
It's a street car and I run the drag look. I have 325/50R-15's on the back and am looking at the M/T Sprortman S/R's for the front. The back tire diameter is 28", the fronts I'm looking at come in a 24" and a 26". Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

A street car and you run the "Drag" look???? Explain. Are you refering to the "teenie bopper" idea of drag look in so much as huge fat tires sticking out of the wheel wells in back and little weenies in front, looking like your driving down hill all day? Or are you talking the real "Pro" idea of the drag look with big fat wide tires in back with equall or very close to or the same height of tire in front but not a fat tire, just skinny tall, and sitting level or close to factory level ride?

When you put odd size tires (diameter) you cause issues with steering aligment and handling. Can be dealt with to a degree but it really isn't the best way to go for a street car. I would stay with a tire that is as close in diameter front to rear as you can. You can go narrower with no real issue other than you reduce the amount of tire patch on the end that does the most work in reality on the street, the majority of your braking power is from the front, and these cars were designed with huge amounts of understeer in the first place so reducing tire size width wise also reduces your effective turning control.

That said, you have to do what "YOU" like and want to deal with. If you like the fat tire out the rear wheel well, then nothing anybody say's will change that, but I just thought I would throw out a little thought food for you. If your going to drive it on the street, always take into consideration handling and stopping, not just acceleration. That will provide you with a safe fun car that won't make you or someone else a statistic.

Personaly, I like the road course look of big fat tires on all four corners, makes the car look mean, handles even meaner yet and is wicked safe compared to what it was from the factory and even smokes todays computerized high tech gizmo cars that cost 100 times more. I run 245/60 15 on all four corners. Allows the ability to rotate the tires (necessary for PROPER maintanance of tires on the street) and makes for a much more balanced look.

Heres a 215-75-15
27"

Picture_003.jpg

175-70-15
25.5"

IM0009932.sized.jpg

205-70-15
26.5"

IM000557.sized.jpg

Hey Adam, what sizes are on the back with each of those pics? Luv that last one.

Thanks for the input, I went with the 26"; I have 4" Centerline's on the front and the tire sizes are kind of limited. I'm just not ready to invest in a wider rim yet.
But I do like the look, I relocated the rear springs; so my backs are tucked beautifully underneath. To each his own, Peace

Adam, how did you get the 215's to clear? Mine hit the front and rear edges with 7 inch rims. Is it because of the front runner rims?

Check the pic of the Duster in my garage. I have 215/70-14 on the front.
Front is lowered slightly. They are on 14x6 welds. Rears are 255/60-15s.
I have no problems with rubbing.

TA, My car sits pretty ign up in front to keep the headers from dragging Thats probably why they didnt rub.

A 14 inch wheel and tire combo with a ***/aa tire will not be as tall as a 15 inch wheel with the same ***/aa size designation, they will be shorter over all. I know a lot of you know that, but figured I would mention it for the ones who didn't or forgot to think about it. When dealing with comparing difrent wheel and tire sizes it's always nice to use a tire size calculator to know what the ACTUAL overall height and width of a given tire combo will be. A guy localy has a 70 Dart that he put 245/60 15's on the back and 205/60 15's on the front, and although the car is a beutiful car it looks silly because of the "teeny bopper kicked in the a$$" look. I tried to convince him he could put on a much meatier tire on the front before he did it and he didn't believe you could put as big a front tire on the front of his Dart as the ones I put on mine. What shocked him was when I pulled his rear wheels and tires and bolted them on the front of my Dart. He wishes he had got bigger tires for the front of his BB Purple Dart now. LOL.

-
Back