Front wheel clearance help

-

smythge

65 with a BIG BLOCK
Reaction score
On my 65 Dart I have P205/75 R15 tires on the front which according to the calculations are 27.1" tall. On the drivers side the tires fits with about 1" clearance from the front of the fender but on the passenger side the tire touches the front of the fender. I am not sure what the tallest tire is that can fit on the front of the car? I am certain something is out of adjustment on one of the sides just not sure which. So I am looking for any ideas on what to check, I am guessing something with the torsion bars, but not sure.

I'm not sure about your MAX tire size for up front, however many guys run 27" and I have heard some tires rub a little in turns depending on how wide they are. I would think from your statement that your passenger side lower control is out of wack or adjustment. If you have a lower control arm "strut", I would check them out first and see if the two (one on each side) have a different measurement in length. "out of adjustment" or check to see if one is bent. A bent bar will force your control arm forward putting your tire closer to the fender.

PS Just in case your unsure? Their the bars that go from the front of the lower control arm to the front frame (you will see them inboard of your front tires) These are not your torsion bars. The ends of the bars out front of the frame have adjusting bolts for alignments. Also were any of your tires, before the one's your trying on worn out on the outer/inner edge?

Like 69Signet suggested, tires worn on the outter edges aer a simple yet obvious sign of an alignment issue, depending on what is wearing faster is what will tellyou whats wrong.
What we need to know tho are drivabilty issues, do you have a tight steering wheel or is there slop from side to side? do you have a pull?
do you have a bent frame, axel, or out of shape fender?

I have only had the car a couple months and it had new tires when I got it. So I am not sure how the old tires were worn. I just replaced all 4 shocks on the car and the rear had air shock on it, so when I put the gas shocks on it the rear tires were rubbing on the fender. So I figured I would swap the front and rear tires and check for clearance, that is when I noticed the front passenger tire was hitting the front fender. I know I am getting new front tires 185/65r15 which will solve and clearance issues, but I would like to figure out and fix the problem. I do have the lower control arm struts and will check the measurement are they adjustable? I don't see any damage to anything and the fender is straight.

smythge said:
I have only had the car a couple months and it had new tires when I got it. So I am not sure how the old tires were worn. I just replaced all 4 shocks on the car and the rear had air shock on it, so when I put the gas shocks on it the rear tires were rubbing on the fender. So I figured I would swap the front and rear tires and check for clearance, that is when I noticed the front passenger tire was hitting the front fender. I know I am getting new front tires 185/65r15 which will solve and clearance issues, but I would like to figure out and fix the problem. I do have the lower control arm struts and will check the measurement are they adjustable? I don't see any damage to anything and the fender is straight.

Smythge, they are tightened from the front (the large bolts). If they at least look good and straight they could be fine. Did you jack up the car a check all your jounts? Perhaps all you need is a alingment, but out a inch sounds like a lot. If you can't find a problems at all, it would be an idea to get it checked out. (mine in CND only cost 50.00)

Measure your wheel base side to side (center of hub to center of hub) to see were your problem lies, it may be body (sheetmetal) related or a combination of both.

340mopar said:
Measure your wheel base side to side (center of hub to center of hub) to see were your problem lies, it may be body (sheetmetal) related or a combination of both.

Great post. I have the same issue with my '69 Dart. I haven't had time to fully address it yet, but I can say that I completely rebuilt the front suspension and haven't had the car aligned yet, but I suspect that some of my issue is body tolerances. I hope to find the exact cause and a solution when I can get back to working on the car. I want to run at least a 27" tall tire, so the car feels a bit more stable toting the big block around on the street :grin:

-
Back