Front Wheel Hub and Wheel Studs

-

JPS

Reaction score
Hello:
Just purchased a 68 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible Survivor. I am going through the mechanicals' to make it a reliable driver. The front wheel hubs have LHT's on the passenger side and RHT's on the driver side. Several of the studs have been over torqued and the studs are not holding.
I would really appreciate suggestions on how the problem can be corrected. I would also be interested in purchasing nos or nosr front and rear wheel hubs.The hubs are malleable steel and the studs cannot be welded and expected to hold. I would like to keep the originality of the thread patterns on each side of the vehicle.
Go easy on me if I have not used the correct nomenclature.
Thanks

I'm not understanding. Are you saying the studs are turning in the hubs? That the splines are stripped?

I haven't measured the diameter of the holes in the hub, the splines on the studs have not been striped.

I thought about using the a size larger stud (the same as the 10" Posi Rear) but I cannot find LHT studs in that size. I have medium machining capabilities to size the holes in the hub to properly fit the oversize studs if I can locate the LHT's.

I thought about using the a size larger stud (the same as the 10" Posi Rear) but I cannot find LHT studs in that size. I have medium machining capabilities to size the holes in the hub to properly fit the oversize studs if I can locate the LHT's.

I have not seen over sized LHT studs. Although I am sure someone makes or made them at one time. I have looked before with little success. You always have the potion to change them all to RHT studs. Those are readily available in over sizes.

Thanks for the quick reply, I would like to have the car on the road for the fall car shows, I will probably need to follow your suggestion. I have another question. The car has original wire wheel covers. I would like to change them to original rally wheels, are there any issues with the change that would be scrutinized by knowledgeable Plymouth Car Guys.

Thanks for the quick reply, I would like to have the car on the road for the fall car shows, I will probably need to follow your suggestion. I have another question. The car has original wire wheel covers. I would like to change them to original rally wheels, are there any issues with the change that would be scrutinized by knowledgeable Plymouth Car Guys.

I have them on my '68. They are a good option for our 4" lug pattern cars.
If your car is being judged for originality, you'll probably get dinged on points because Rally Wheels weren't available until 1970. Also, every know-it-all will feel he has to tell you that. If you're okay with that, run 'em.

I guess maybe if they checked out the fender tag and or build sheet if you have it out.........but I wouldn't worry about that. If you don't care that the car is nut and bolt original, I wouldn't worry about it. You're the only one who needs to be happy with it.

Another option....and a lot of people do it, you could mig a little spot weld on the back of each stud to hold them to the hub. Perfectly acceptable and of course don't go crazy with it. Just two small spot welds each stud is sufficient.

-
Back