Fuel and brake line through frame?

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
Starting to subframe the dart, figured " why not run fuel and brake lines through Frame"
Has anyone done this? Any issues?
I think it would clean up the bottom nicely And protect the lines...

Starting to subframe the dart, figured " why not run fuel and brake lines through Frame"
Has anyone done this? Any issues?
I think it would clean up the bottom nicely And protect the lines...
Just run the lines on the inner edge of the subframe connectors.

You will never be able to service them. You will never be able to inspect them. I don't see any good way to fasten them to prevent rattles and rubbing. Chrysler did do this exact thing on some mid 60's C-body cars. I know this because when fuel started pouring out of a frame rail you take a good hard look at line routing. The replacement line was ran on the outside of the rails and the original was left inside cause there wasn't any way to remove it.

eh, thats not true from what I see.
I am going to be making my own subframes out of square tubing, and it would be easy enough to put lenghth of conduit inside of that.
As far as the leaking and stuff, ya, thats a valid point. Service would require disconnecting and pulling out entire lenghts at a time.

Good points though. thanks.

I would think you would need to secure it to the body somehow. My power and fuel feeds are attached to the inner side of the rail. Power on driver side and fuel on passenger. Power is -1ga and fuel is 1/2" aluminum.

vbpgimage.php

Great question at a great time:) I'm getting ready to run new brake lines & gas lines after I paint the chassis.

Great question at a great time:) I'm getting ready to run new brake lines & gas lines after I paint the chassis.

I ran the brake lines in the stock location as much as possible w/ 2" sq. tubing frame conn. my frame conn. went inside the rear subrames about 7" ,(don`t remember exactly) welded to a plate on the other end, then bolted w/ one bolt to hold everything where I wanted it, then welded it to the frontcross member. it also is welded in the floor the entire length, ( way stronger that way) drilled a hole thru the crossmember , and ran the 1 piece -08 s.s. flex thru it from the rear mounted pump-clear to the reg. in the engine bay. this isn`t the 1st car I`ve done this to, and never had any problems w/ leaks. use quality line tho. the fuel lines ran along the frame to the inside, is against nhra rules if not in a conduit pipe. it asking for a fire if you have a trans - driveline falure.------just my 2 cents worth ----bob

ah, thanks for pointing that out. I need to relocate my cutoff switch, fuel filter and pump and will be replacing the 1/2" aluminum with -8 braided stainless. Is using outside of the rail safer and legal? thx

ah, thanks for pointing that out. I need to relocate my cutoff switch, fuel filter and pump and will be replacing the 1/2" aluminum with -8 braided stainless. Is using outside of the rail safer and legal? thx

I like mine inside, like I said ,I`ve never had a prob. w/ it. getting ready to run a return line for the fuel inj.(changing horses in the middle of the stream). it`s going to be more of a problem. was thinking about trying to get it inside also, that would be neat, but I had a bad time trying to get it in there to start w/.:eek:ops:

i had 1965 300L. the stock steel fuel line was inside the sub frame. and rusted a little just enough to limit high fuel flow at high RPM. stainless steel might be a good way to go. i do NOT like long lengths of hose. its a fire hazard.

I am adding cartool subframe connectors to a 69 dart.
The car currently has no engine , trans or driveshaft.
The instructions say you can have a few notches in the connectors to route the brake and fuel line thru.
I did the passenger fuel side but am having trouble with the brake side.
The brake line was chopped near the master cylinder by the previous owner, so it needs to be replaced any way. I plan on getting the car painted on top and underneath so I will probably take the brake line off before i paint.
Does anyone have a pic how they routed their brake line or where they notched for passage through. I need to have it in a spot that I can pass it through after the connectors are welded in.

-
Back