fuel cell question

-
Watch around the 50 second mark and you can see what happens to the fuel pressure in my car. It’s annoying.

My future plan is a custom tank or cell that fits between the frame rails flush with the trunk floor and doesn’t go up into the trunk. Found out that I use the trunk space more than I thought I would and that 20 gallon cell doesn’t leave much room at all. I want to copy what this car has. Same exhaust layout and fuel tank. And have a baffled in tank pump as well. I think that should do the trick.

FA76_FC27-_D5_F4-4_F7_A-8288-_EB3_FFC8_C17_BD.jpg

looks like you loose it when you are on the brakes

I have foam in mine with a sump and I still get fuel slosh when braking and it starves the pump until I level out or start accelerating again. The foam is starting to deteriorate since I am starting to find pieces in my filter. IMO, the foam is worthless and should be left out.
yeah I will not be using any foam in this tank....the vast amount of negative information regarding the foam is a big deterrent. thanks for the in put

Watch around the 50 second mark and you can see what happens to the fuel pressure in my car. It’s annoying.

My future plan is a custom tank or cell that fits between the frame rails flush with the trunk floor and doesn’t go up into the trunk. Found out that I use the trunk space more than I thought I would and that 20 gallon cell doesn’t leave much room at all. I want to copy what this car has. Same exhaust layout and fuel tank. And have a baffled in tank pump as well. I think that should do the trick.

View attachment 1715208912

how does having the exhaust way back there work? I love the concept you've got going there.

how does having the exhaust way back there work? I love the concept you've got going there.

The exhaust dumps in the middle of the car. We couldn’t get it the way I wanted it.

The exhaust dumps in the middle of the car. We couldn’t get it the way I wanted it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It does run better that way. I had a 406 sbc p/u that I built the dumped 3" exhaust for , I got a wild hair and took it to the muffler shop and had them ran up and over and out behind the wheels , like a camaro. I could tell the h.p loss when I started it to back it out. I rodded it a lot going home and pulled them off, still laying in the barn if someone wants them !! 3"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It does run better that way. I had a 406 sbc p/u that I built the dumped 3" exhaust for , I got a wild hair and took it to the muffler shop and had them ran up and over and out behind the wheels , like a camaro. I could tell the h.p loss when I started it to back it out. I rodded it a lot going home and pulled them off, still laying in the barn if someone wants them !! 3"

Thats surprising for a 3”. But I wasn’t worried about the HP loss if there was some. I moved my cutouts so that the exhaust comes straight out like an 18” extension when the cutouts are open. When they’re closed, it flows through the X pipe and mufflers. Before, the cutouts were placed after the X pipe which really weakened the sound of the exhaust. Here’s after with the even shorter exhaust. It’s amazing to me that no longer than this exhaust is, the UltraFlo mufflers quiet that engine like crazy! Even muffler shop guy couldn’t believe it since it’s a straight through design and he heard how loud the engine was with open headers. They’re quieter than Flownasties for sure and I’d put money on it that they flow better too.

Last edited:
Thats surprising for a 3”. But I wasn’t worried about the HP loss if there was some. I moved my cutouts so that the exhaust comes straight out like an 18” extension when the cutouts are open. When they’re closed, it flows through the X pipe and mufflers. Before, the cutouts were placed after the X pipe which really weakened the sound of the exhaust. Here’s after with the even shorter exhaust. It’s amazing to me that no longer than this exhaust is, the UltraFlo mufflers quiet that engine like crazy! Even muffler shop guy couldn’t believe it since it’s a straight through design and he heard how loud the engine was with open headers. They’re quieter than Flownasties for sure and I’d put money on it that they flow better too.

If I were goin to run cut outs, that would be the best way as far as I`m concerned!
Summit has an exhaust kit like that-------- but my stuff is 3 1/2" all the way.
Clint< what was the plug hanging down on the side underneath??

If I were goin to run cut outs, that would be the best way as far as I`m concerned!
Summit has an exhaust kit like that-------- but my stuff is 3 1/2" all the way.
Clint< what was the plug hanging down on the side underneath??

Mine are Summit brand cutouts. The plug that was dangling is for the passenger side cutout. But since I moved them further forward, I have to re-route the wiring.

what I meant was how does it work with the mufflers way in the back? As far as sound?

what I meant was how does it work with the mufflers way in the back? As far as sound?

I honestly couldn’t tell you. Don’t know anyone personally with the mufflers in the back like that. As previously mentioned, that’s not my car (wish it were!). It’s an Australian car that I found on the net.

Clinteg I watched a couple of your videos, the car looks like fun
Runs good, nice job.

Regarding mufflers behind the rearend,it works great and controls sound alitle better than having the mufflers under the backseat,also makes it possible to fit larger mufflers on most cars if they are equiped with a fuelcell and has no sparetirewell,leaving a bunch of space for mufflers.

Back on topic,i never had a problem with the foam deteriorating in my old Jaz fuelcell and like the foam since it cuts down on how much the fuel can move around.

Regarding mufflers behind the rearend,it works great and controls sound alitle better than having the mufflers under the backseat,also makes it possible to fit larger mufflers on most cars if they are equiped with a fuelcell and has no sparetirewell,leaving a bunch of space for mufflers.

Thank, that is exactly what I was wondering. How that placement worked in regards to sound.

Keep in mind that the car above has the mufflers placed outside of the framerails which would work with or without a fuel cell.

Thank, that is exactly what I was wondering. How that placement worked in regards to sound.

Keep in mind that the car above has the mufflers placed outside of the framerails which would work with or without a fuel cell.

Its one of the reasons alot of our faster streetcars used to run their mufflers all the way back there,some even split their exhaust into 4 pipes and 4 mufflers partialy due to the available space.

Regarding mufflers outside the framerails there is a limitation there on most of our cars since some genious who engineered these cars put the leafsprings there aswell,but if your leafs are moved in under the framerails it might just work or if you are running a fourlink or ladderbar suspension.

-
Back