Fuel Draining From Filter

-

The Dart GT

1963 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
Reaction score
I have a clear WIX fuel filter. When I shut the car off, the fuel drains back out of the filter and the filter is empty when I go to start the car the next time. Is that normal? It seems like the line should be holding some kind of pressure to maintain the fuel in the line.

New fuel pump, all new lines, new gas tank, new pick up / sending unit. The filter is mounted horizontally. The fuel pump works good.

Thanks for the help.

If you like, you can install a check valve on the rubber hose from the frame to the fuel pump. Here is one example from Summit, just make sure you have the arrow going into the right direction.
Hella 7.20234.52.0

If you put a pressure gauge on the line my bet is you will see the pressure remains basically normal for a long time.

My bet is the alcohol blended fuel (ie standard pump gas) is vaporizing at shut down and you are seeing the vapors rising to the high point.

Also in just a few revolutions the pump can refill the filter IF it was bleeding back.

Liklyhood of the "problem" being a bad fuel pump on 2 different engines is pretty small.

Lastly, like testing for COVID many more people will show as having it then the symptoms would suggest.

If you did not have a clear filter you would not know you have a "problem" and with no symptoms you would not care.

-
Back