Fuel Filler Cap - Opinions Wanted

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
Didn't get much feedback on my restoration thread, so thought I'd try here...

Here's a pic of my fuel filler cap and another showing it installed. I'm looking for opinions on whether I should leave it silver or paint it black. I've got chrome bumpers and other stainless trim, but with the black vinyl roof and the (planned) black wheels, black might look cool. Any thoughts?

Gas Cap.jpg

Fuel Filler 1.jpg

If it's aluminum, makes sure you use a good primer, so the top coat will adhere to it.

I like it like it is also. Where did you get it at? I was going to run a Barracuda flip top but I think I like that one better. Thanks Mike

Another member here, 67gtx, turned me onto a company in Florida called Blue Moon that makes a cap that fits perfectly. They've been backordered for months, but told me another company called British American Transfer, Inc. imports similar caps from England. This is a cap for airplanes. It will need to be turned down a hair on a lathe to fit my Scamp, and a vent provision will need to be rigged up.

Contact number for BAT, Inc. is 941-355-0005. Model #CAP2LF. Price was $209.30 plus shipping.

It's all relative...:yawinkle: It's a lot of money now, but two years ago when I was flush, it seemed worth it.

Mike, I would leave it as is, get your other components on and see how it looks. No need to undo something if there's no need to do it in the first place. If you did decide to do something with it, I have seen some trick anodized coatings that would look sweet.

Mike, That cap is beautiful...I would leave it alone 8)

Consensus seems to be to leave it natural. I have to agree that it does seem too pretty to cover up. As GTXperience said, I can always change it later. Ok, au natural it is! Thanks guys! :cheers:

Very Nice!
I was hoping to do the same to my Dart.
Could you show pics of your connection
to the filler neck?

Ha! There IS no connection at this point. Still got to work that out...A length of rubber and hose clamps would work, but not the most attractive solution. I'll post pics when I figure that out.

-
Back