fuel filler grommet

-

mopar56

Reaction score
well we just had to replace the fuel tank on my sons 74 Duster, had a hole rusted through on the top right where the trunk drain plug was, ( which was leaking ), kind of a shame as the tank was damn near perfect other than that, Arizona car, no rust any where else, not even any sludge in the tank, anyway, got it all back together and it leaks from the fuel filler grommet where the neck goes in the tank, the tank was a Scepter I believe?, made in Canada, nice tank but surprisingly no new grommet came with it, only the one for the sender, we got it at Napa and they said they couldn't supply a new grommet, I just knew the damn thing would leak to, anyway easy fix if I could find the grommet, anyone know where we could buy one? and what the part number is?, preferably in Canada as shipping anything up here is killer duty/brokerage, someone must make one?, thanks

Did you clean the filler pipe? When I assemble that stuff, I Scotchbrite the last couple of inches, and then lube it with silicon grease. I also remove the grommet and clean both it and the tank opening. Even just a tiny piece of sand,in the wrong place, can be the source of seepage. Also,the pipe needs to fit fairly tight to the grommet. Thus it expands the grommet into the opening. With age, those grommets seem to shrink.
Good luck

thanks Guys, I will use the numbers I found on those sights to see if I can locate pronto as there is a car show this weekend we want to attend with it, failing that I guess we will use " seal-all" for the interm, and yes, we cleaned it well but it was quite dry and had a small split, I wasn't surprised when nit leaked

well unfortunately the grommet got lost in freight and showed up after the weekend so we made the show, the car didn't, oh well, anyway we went to install it last night, we did a test fit, it slides over the pipe, it fits in the tank and it looks exactly the the same but we can not get the filler pipe to slide in, it seems the angle is wrong from the pipe to the tank, what is the proper procedure?, we tried dropping the tank a couple inches by loosening the straps, we tried putting the grommet on the pipe then sliding in the tank after, nothing works, I know its a tight fit but I don't want to destroy the grommet, it seems the problem is the tank needs to go further forward but it cant due to the top lip of the tank hitting the shock, I was thinking of removing the left shock to push the tank far enough to get the grommet on then re-installing the tank straps and shock, what do you think? I have another project today so will get back to this forum later today or tonight for some responses and then hopefully back to the tank tomorrow, thanks

well for anyone interested the answer is grease, lots of it, I really thought wd40 and other spray lubes would be enough but it just wasn't, even after removing the shock on the l/s from the top mount and moving it forward the damn thing still wouldn't go finally I used some good old fashioned grease and hit the end of the filler pipe with a dead blow and in she went!, done!

-
Back