Fuel filler neck grommet won't seal?

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
Bought a new reproduction filler neck grommet and the grommet has a bit of play on the neck that will not let it seal? Anyone else had this issue? Tried to get another grommet from local parts store but they are not available through them.

I would call a good supplier and get one from them, maybe there was a bad batch, can't think there is more than one manufacturer of this part. They sell a rubber lube that also swells the rubber a bit but that would probably cost more than a new grommet and it might not work if you can find it at all.

Can he wrap the tube with somthing to make it a tighter seal?

Not sure if this is different by year/model. i got mine for 75 Duster at dealer last year. was original style with wide flange inside tank. I think I paid about $12

Are these the ones bought from a member here? I should be getting mine in a day or 2, will check right away to see if it fits the new tank. If so, maybe get one from him.

Bought a new reproduction filler neck grommet and the grommet has a bit of play on the neck that will not let it seal? Anyone else had this issue? Tried to get another grommet from local parts store but they are not available through them.

Shouldn't be any play at all. I think they have a couple different sizes. Different between early and later "A" bodies possibly, maybe you have wrong one. The installs I have done were tight. I found it helped to use some WD40 as a lube to install filler neck through grommet.

-
Back