Fuel Filter Particles AND Stalling

-

zapimpulse

76 Duster
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My 318 Duster has been having trouble with stalling while it idles down as I roll to a stop or coast around a curve, it hesitates off idle, and starts hard like it is flooded after it has stalled. I've been running around all over trying to figure it out and am frustrated!!!!!!
I replaced the carb with a new edel 600cfm, tuned it and it still stalls.
Someone suggested to change the fuel filter to a clear one to see if fuel is even getting to the fuel pump. I found a lot of tiny, uniform strips of what appears to be metal (not magnetic fyi..I checked). I replaced the filter, took it for a test drive and it ran crummy as normal...
The fuel filter didn't seem very full leading me to believe something before the fuel filter (fuel line, gas tank etc) is clogged with probably the same particles I found in the filter. What do you think and what should my next steps be????? Thanks!!!!

Attached are pics of the particles and fuel level of the fuel filter while running (both at idle and at higher rpms)

IMG00034-20100810-1707.jpg

IMG00027-20100810-1657.jpg

IMG00028-20100810-1657.jpg

IMG00031-20100810-1701.jpg

Pull the tank and clean. Replace the sock in there. Replace all rubber lines with the newer ones.Then flush everything. New gas eats the older stuff.

You have the filter going before the fuel pump?:shock:I was going to do that but was told not a good idea.
Why's that? Because it's robbing the pump or making it work harder?
I definitely may be incorrect but my thinking is wouldn't I want to protect the pump before all the debris got to the pump?

I definitely may be incorrect but my thinking is wouldn't I want to protect the pump before all the debris got to the pump?
im not sure myself,lol.I may try it also.Are the particles from the filter after the pump?

my guess is old cracked fuel line by tank not letting pump suck good solid fuel stream. just a pinhole is all it takes to disrupt the suction from the tank.

The particles are before the fuel pump which is why I'm happy there's a filter in place before it. This is also why I suspect that the problem is before the fuel filter/pump like in the gas tank or fuel lines. What's a tank drop entail?

You have the filter going before the fuel pump?:shock:I was going to do that but was told not a good idea.

Making it work harder. You want to have a coarse filter (as in the strainer on your sending unit) installed before the fuel pump and a fine filter installed between your fuel pump and your carburetor. Its a lot easier for a fuel pump to push fuel through a tight place than it is for it to pull fuel from a tight place. This is especially true for electric fuel pumps, I would imagine mechanical fuel pumps are more forgiving.

What you need to do has already been mentioned...clean your gas tank out, replace your strainer on the sending unit, replace your rubber lines and flush out the metal hard lines. I would think you'd probably be better off just replacing the hard lines IMO

So I replaced the fuel filters, and installed a new fuel pump the other day and it has been running great!!! I just wanted to post so people with similar issues may be able to diagnose their problem off this post.
...I'm sure now that I've said this it won't run great anymore though...
Thanks guys for your help. I'm still not putting off the tank drop if I get a chance

I wish I would have read this before I posted mine. I have the exact problem! (Same fuel filter even! :) )

I think (but don't know) that the problem will reoccur. Your filter is probably just filtering out the particals FOR NOW. I could be wrong, but the same goes for my case. Those particals are coming from somewhere and it is coming before the filter. Therfore I'd say it's the lines by the fuel tank being eaten away.

Thats my guess anyway :)

-
Back