Fuel filter

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Does it matter on the location of the inline fuel filter with a mech pump? (before or after the pump). I take it the action of the pump pushes fuel out on it stroke and the vac effect draws fuel into it. If the filter is located before the pump is this harder on the pump or possible lack of fuel, or...if it's after the pump is the fuel push demand the same? Right now mine is "before" with no problems as yet. The majority of pic show members with there filters on top of the motors..

I always ran mine before the mech pump, mech's pull better than they push. I always ran the clear PLASTIC fuel filters (fram makes them I know) and you can check the status of it. (You can also stick those in the PCV to Carb line and filter the oil out of that line and keep it out of your enine :toothy7: )

just imo

-Mike

The pump being a diaphragm pump can run dry and it won't hurt the pump. A pump is more efficient pushing against a restriction than pulling through one. As the filter gets dirty you would notice it sooner if it was before the pump than after the pump. It is easier to push the liquid out of the pump than have the liquid pushed or pulled into the pump. This be said it is better as far as flow is concerned to put the filter after the pump. Although it is better for the parts of a fuel system to have the filter before the pump that way clean fuel passes through every part of the fuel system.

I run filters before the pump because I want everything protected from dirt and debris.

Chuck

Both good points, thanks. I've never heard of using a filter for a PVC before.

Factory put it after the mech fuel pump. Tanks had a filter sock. I'm sure they had good reason for it.

MY340 said:
Factory put it after the mech fuel pump. Tanks had a filter sock. I'm sure they had good reason for it.
the reason being its a PITA to change!
i yanked the in tank filter and put one right above the rear axle next to the frame.

-
Back