fuel gaugeissue help AGAIN

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
ok so i replaced the fuel gauge sending unit because of the issue i had before when the gauge was at halfa tank the whole time. and now tha gauge is stuck at E and 1/4 tank and i just put 20 dollars in which is like 5 gallons is this normal or shouldit be about half a tank? or a little less

1/3 rd of a tank? If you ground the sending unit wire ,does the gauge go all the way up to full? Check for a good ground between the tank and the fuel line at the grounding strap.

well what i did was got some wire and wraped around the unit on the outside the little tubing thing the hose goes on then i put the other end to a ground and it stayed were it was so im guessing thats how much gas i really got i mean i put 20 dollars in but it was only 5-6 gallons

A quick check of the gauge can be made by grounding the wire going to the sending unit momentarily, if the gauge goes to full, the gauge should be good. It sounds like you grounded it sufficiently (created your own groundstrap)so I think your gauge is probably right. I see you`re in California and $20.00 doesn`t buy much gas anymore, huh? I don`t know but I`d guess you have an 18 gallon tank ,so it`ll empty your pockets at the gas pump!

I'm really going to have to have a look again under my car. It is a '71 Dart and I didn't see any ground strap off the sender at all. I have the fuel pipe connection and then a single wire push on terminal that goes on the tank and up to the gauge.
I have an issue with (sorry to jump on your thread with this, but brings it to mind while searching the posts) the gauge reading sometimes and not at other times. I've read a lot of posts about this ground strap. Where does it go? What should I be looking for? Thanks for any help.
Cheers

There`s a small piece of rubber fuel line that connects your sending unit to the fuel line. The ground strap will bridge that gap and run parallel to the rubber fuel line snapping on to both pieces. It essentially provides a metal connection where the rubber line breaks it.

Ahhh, makes sense. I was looking for a separate wire like I'm used to seeing on classic Minis. Okay, so if the tank has been mucked about with and the rubber line disconnected then they may have removed/broken this wire and the readings at the gauge will not be on. I'll have a look at that this weekend.
Thanks for the answer.
Cheers

ok so i filled all the way up and the gauge is marking 1/4 before full its werid i dont know whats wrong becasue when i filled up gas started coming out and when you looked in the filler neck you could see gas so now im guessing the gauge is broken

-
Back