Fuel + Headers + Wooof

-

sickt7cuda

Reaction score
Is this normal? I drive back to the pits and shut the engine off and a few seconds later I hear wooof - fuel igniting in the headers/collectors. It did this occasionally with my old cam, a hydraulic .501, and it's doing it with the new cam, a solid Crane 240/250@ .050 with 540/560 lift. LSA is 108. What else could be causing this?

Did you change you springs for that taller cam?

Its been a while but how about a hotter plug to burn off the excess fuel getting into the exhaust.

Yeah, Tony, I put on the new Eddy heads, which came with new springs. A couple of hours ago I finished it up a did a couple of short launches in front of my house. All I can say is OH YEAH! Hope to get it to the track soon.

I bet it felt good.
There has to be a reason your getting to much fuel into your headers.
Your not burning what your giving it.

As far as testing infront of your house, I go on the other side of town there is a strip of road that runs between Teterboro Airport and the towns baseball fields.
I stopped at the begining brought her up to 2500 on the convertor and let her go.
Went through 1st and 2nd hit 3rd got out of it and as the fields opened up to the ball fields there was a local cop parked hunched over his steering wheel shaking his head and laughing. He heard me but he didn't see me go through the gears. By the time I reached him I was doing a respectable 45mph.

In desperation, I went back to the basics and checked the timing again. Then it dawned on me to check what bushing I had in the MSD distributor, and low and behold, it was the red one (28*). My initial timing was only 12*. Changed out to the black bushing (18*) and put in 20* initial. No more "wooof" and a lot more power with a quicker throttle response.

Somehow.....I feel cleansed.

Going to the track Saturday with good expectations.

-
Back