Fuel injection hose

-

68coupe

Reaction score
I'm plumbing up fuel injection system for MPFI. I went to AutoZone to get 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" sizes for the GM style filter/regulator and Airtex pump. Clearly written on the hose - "LOW EMISSION FUEL INJECTION". Problem is - they were out of 3/8".
No problem - a friend picked up 3/8" from O'Reilley's so I thought I would check the numbers. They gave him SAE 30R14T1. Internet search says "WARNING: NOT for use on pressure lines on fuel injected engines or cooling system applications". Working pressure of 50 psi.
Yesterday, I went to a different O'Reilleys store, told them I wanted 3/8" fuel injected rubber gas line hose. They gave me SAE J2076 AU. Turns out it's low pressure return hose for power steering application. Working pressure is 125 psi, but I don't have a clue what gasoline and ethanol will do to it.

My point is: Be sure and double check your gas line hoses. They are something you don't want rupturing or deteriorating! Tomorrow, back to AutoZone.

The injection stuff says injection right on it. However, this may be meaningless. I recently got some 1/4" EFI hose because "O'Reallys' was out of the cheaper low pressure. This is gravity feed for my Honda 90 project. In getting the hose installed, the outside got just wet with gas, PUMP gas, 15 percent or whatever it is. MY FINGERS WERE DYED BLACK for the rest of the night from the crap sluffing off of the outside of the hose!!!!

"We ain't impressed." This is Gates brand hose.

Fuel injection hose often marked 30R9. Immersion hose for in tank hookups is 30R10.

Buying hose at autoparts stores is no fun, same with clamps. Do the research, make sure the hoses have correct markings for the application.

One of these hoses is Gates, the other Goodyear. Doesn't matter though, they don't fit the application. Good to know that it's normally written on the hose.

I'm definitely "old skool", but if I'm working on anything dealing with chemicals, I'll use nitrile gloves. They are a PITA, but if I'm using gasoline, kerosene, paint thinners, etc I'll use them. May be a little late in the game, but......
Back in the day, they would have laughed you out of the shop for using gloves (while calling you certain names I don't care to mention).

Fuel injection hose often marked 30R9. Immersion hose for in tank hookups is 30R10.

Buying hose at autoparts stores is no fun, same with clamps. Do the research, make sure the hoses have correct markings for the application.

I bought clamps for fuel injection, not the worm screw type. Is that what you are referring to?

I bought clamps for fuel injection, not the worm screw type. Is that what you are referring to?

F.A.S.T. 2.0 comes w/ 150 psi hose w/ clamps. wonder what the tech inspectors think about
it ?

Yes EFI clamps are good.

About pressure ratings.
While 30R7 is rated at 125 psi, that is burst pressure, never use for EFI, it works for carburetor supply. Parts stores will often think it is good for EFI, sometimes it is all they have to sell. Somtimes they have 30R6, it feed hose, for gas tank to carb on lawn mowers, or similar.

Most recent EFI hose is lined with a thin liner, take care in tightening clamps on barbs, too tight, the barb may cut the liner. The hose may last a bit, then spew fuel for a nice fire.

Just make sure it is "multi-fuel" compatible. I bought some from O'Really and they assured me it was multi-fuel hose...GUESS AGAIN... I had multiple check engine codes from this junkass hose. I went to a dealership and bought from them, knowing they use factory hose for replacements in most cases.

Just make sure it is "multi-fuel" compatible. I bought some from O'Really and they assured me it was multi-fuel hose...GUESS AGAIN... I had multiple check engine codes from this junkass hose. I went to a dealership and bought from them, knowing they use factory hose for replacements in most cases.

Do you know "what it was" exactly that they sold you, IE brand / part no?

I think it's time to hold suppliers and manufacturers to the fire on this stuff. Alcohol fuels have been around long enough that it's far FAR past time to "step up" on this

Do you know "what it was" exactly that they sold you, IE brand / part no?

I think it's time to hold suppliers and manufacturers to the fire on this stuff. Alcohol fuels have been around long enough that it's far FAR past time to "step up" on this

I wrote an email to their corporate offices about what they sold to me - haven't heard back yet. I wonder if your car caught fire, and God forbid, someone got injured or killed they would take notice? O'Reillys is not an LLC, so I'm assuming they are responsible for the negligence of their employees.

I can see someone making a mistake, but power steering hose in place of gasoline/ethanol high pressure fuel line! The receipt states that it is 27004 fuel hose -
Gates® Safety Stripe II® - Fuel Line/PCV/EEC Hose

That's rated at 50 psi, not even high pressure hose! But, that's not even what he gave me - he had to key that in. Apparently, this was the only 3/8" hose on the shelf.

-
Back