Fuel Leak

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I'm trying to locate a minor fuel leak at the tank in my 68 Dart. I've replaced the filler neck seal a while back. Is there a seal at the sending unit? Other than that and the fuel line itself, are there any other point that tend to leak? I only noticed the leak after I fill up the tank and drive home.

I'm trying to locate a minor fuel leak at the tank in my 68 Dart. I've replaced the filler neck seal a while back. Is there a seal at the sending unit? Other than that and the fuel line itself, are there any other point that tend to leak? I only noticed the leak after I fill up the tank and drive home.
I just put a new tank, sending unit and filler seal in my BC. Within 6 weeks the filler tube seal had a catastrophic failure and now I have to drop the tank and do it again.
Seldom seen a leak at the sending unit seal, it does have a gasket though.

3 common places a fuel tank can leak: Filler neck, sending unit, or hoses. Or a 4th, which would be that the tank itself is rusted out or a seam is leaking.

I've also noticed that the leaking area kind of "stains" the tank. It looks a bit like water marks. Unless they are everywhere (bad leak) it makes troubleshooting pretty easy.

C

Thanks guys. I figure its coming out of or near the sending unit since the stains point that way. Just wanted to do a bit of homework before I drop the tank again. I appreciate the help.

I just put a new tank, sending unit and filler seal in my BC. Within 6 weeks the filler tube seal had a catastrophic failure and now I have to drop the tank and do it again.
Seldom seen a leak at the sending unit seal, it does have a gasket though.
Which filler tube grommet did you use? I heard some are good and some are bad.

Thanks guys. I figure its coming out of or near the sending unit since the stains point that way. Just wanted to do a bit of homework before I drop the tank again. I appreciate the help.
You do not have to drop the tank to work on the sending unit on your Dart.

i had one that leaked at the sending unit,it was not the seal,but the stud where the wire attaches to the sender.just something to keep in mind.i replaced the seal,thinking that was it.thats when i discovered it was leaking around the stud itself,took it off and resoldered the the back side of the stud.no more leaks

There are dozens of posts on this site where people have had problems with leaking at the sending unit. Basically the new locking rings aren't as thick as the original rings. Therefore, when everything gets tightened down, the thinner ring doesn't press down enough on the sending unit and gasket. Everyone suggests using the original locking ring.

Somewhere on this site there is a good picture showing the thickness difference between old and new.

That said, the thickness of my 50-year-old locking ring is the same as the new, thin replacements. Aarg!

-
Back