fuel line question

-

shadango

Reaction score
Anyone know off-hand the fitting size for the fuel line connection at the discharge side of the fuel pump on a 76 318?

I believe that in stock form there is a steel fuel line that runs from the pump up to the carb....

I have an edelbrock 4v carb and it has a hose inlet, so i am looking to either get a preformed oem steel line for the fuel pump and the cut/flare the end and use a hose the rest of the way to the carb. ...or, just find a fitting that will allow me to connect a fuel hose to the fuel pump I guess.....

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

The original line on my '67 is 5/16". If you're willing to use hose, all you need to buy is the barb (connector) that screws into the fuel pump for the correct diameter hose. Just take the old connector with you and tell the parts guy what diameter hose you will be using. With that being said, some fuel pumps don't have the barbs that will come on and off. If that is your case, there may be some sort of step-up barb available--one end 5/19, the other 3/8.

So no issue using all-hose for that run as long as I use fuel hose, right?

I guess it wouldnt be as neat......but it certainly would be easier....

Well, I was going to try and run metal line up to a certain point and then hooking up the carb with hose the rest of the way....

I took a trip to the NAPA store and yes, mission control, we have a problem. LOL

There is no way to adapt a 5/16" line with 1/2-20 fitting on one end to a 3/8 hose-fitting on the other end..........

Cant run straight line either......the hose nipple fitting that screws into the carb is about 5/8" and a flat bottom thread....no flare.

I am also considering just running hose once I match the pump and inlet size.....a guy at NAPA was saying that in his day they replaced the metal lines with hose and it kept the fuel cooler and prevented vapor lock what with the metal lines right near the motor.....thoughts on that?

NAPA didnt have any adaptors to get me from that 1/2"-20 flare fitting to abarb either, so cant run all hose...

I am going to see if edelbrock offers the correct fitting I guess.

I did find that I have a 750 CFM Edelbrock Performer carb.....seems kind of big for a 318 that is supposed to be stock inside, doesnt it? I have J heads and a performer intake....

modify_inline.gif

Think I may have found the answer to my question s far as the line....

Edelbrock actually offers a kit to convert a 5/16" or 3/8" steel line to 3/8" hose for its carbs....

Now that I know I can got that route, at least I know what I am looking for......

kit8135.jpg

Just an FYI for you......

Went thru some issues with fittings for the fuel system on my Demon. Found some at the local Ace Hardware and Home Depot. The most difficult find was a 90* 5/16 flare end to 3/8 pipe thread......found it at a plumbing supply store...LOL

The 3/8 barbs are available, maybe your NAPA didn't have them. You could always get one of the glass fuel filters, they come with different sized screw in barbs that go into each side of the filter. Probably a lot cheaper than going with Edelbrock's kit.

I put 5/8" heater hose over the 3/8" rubber fuel line from the pump to just above the alternator. I've always thought there could be an issue with rubber if the alternator belt let loose. Had a car fire 30 years ago, been a bit paranoid about fuel lines and will never buy a "great" used carb ever again, especially from a friend!!

I ended up finding the two fittinsg I think I need at a small mom and pop hardware place.....guy there was very helpful getting me on track....

bending my line was (is) another story.....LOL......I *think* HI have it bent and running right but wont be sure till I get my alternator in place....the line is the greenish color line on the left......Hoping the alternator sits high enough to clear it.....It is my first attempt at bending my own line.....not pretty but if it works I will be fine with it...LOL

DCP_0117.jpg

DCP_0112-1.jpg

-
Back