Fuel line?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
I did the conversion from slant/440 on the 73 Duster and it still has the slant fuel line in it. Do i need to go bigger dia. and if so what vendor will have em? Can i get my own tubing and make my own? Any tips on this will be appreciated.

I did the conversion from slant/440 on the 73 Duster and it still has the slant fuel line in it. Do i need to go bigger dia. and if so what vendor will have em? Can i get my own tubing and make my own? Any tips on this will be appreciated.

Summit has aluminum line that is 25' long. I would go bigger it was me. I went to 1/2" on a Charger I had years ago which had a 383. Might have been over kill.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G2512&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I'm using the 3/8" aluminum line I bought from JEGS. The stock line is 5/16", the factory used 3/8" on Hemi cars if I remember correctly.

Barracuda326-vi.jpg

Barracuda321-vi.jpg

3/8" line should be fine. I've got a roll of 3/8" I will install very shortly for small block.

Fastback340,

Looking good bro!

3/8" line should be fine. I've got a roll of 3/8" I will install very shortly for small block.

Fastback340,

Looking good bro!

The only advice I can give on the aluminum fuel line is to use a coat hanger to make a template for the bends and turns you have to make, and use a tubing bender to make the bends. I didn't use the bender at the front half of my line and I'm loosing sleep knowing that the front bends suck....

Barracuda322-vi.jpg

See? Aside from it being a shitty looking installation.... I know I'm replacing it. I installed rubber-lined clamps to secure it, but I want to open up the hole the line goes through in the cross member and install a rubber grommet on each side. It wouldn't take much to saw through the aluminum and have an electric fuel pump douse the exhaust with a steady stream of high-test.

What the hell was I thinking...or more appropiately, NOT thinking!

Thanks for the props on the car Mullinax! We're getting into the season where I finally finish it, and I can't wait!

No, stock 440's used 5/16 lines.

But 3/8 can't hurt and would eventually be required if you modify the 440.

For my 408 Duster, I used pre-bent line I found at a car show. I can't remember who the seller was but I am happy with it. So, pre-bent is definitely an option.

I used to work at a tubing place that made prebent tubing. I bought the lines for my car before I left there. They have OE Lines or Stainless Steel. The website is www.classictube.com. If you call, ask for Mike, I was friends with him when I was there and he is into mopars and had an a-body. Phone is 716-759-1800 and I believe there is an 1-800 # on the website. Hope that helps anybody who's interested.

Dan

5/16 fuel line generally is good for up to 300 hp, 3/8 fuel line is good up to 500 hp., ½ fuel line is good up to 700 hp., and 5/8 fuel line will handle 800+ hp. i got a 25' roll of 1/2" for $40. from piston ring.

If you are running a returnless system, take 25% of your horsepower number and use that figure for your fuel pump selection. If you are running a system with a return line then 20% works. For example 500 horsepower x 20% for a return line system gives a fuel pump flow rate of 100 gallons per hour. So a 100 gph pump rated at 8 psi should have no problems.

If you move up to 3/8" line, don't forget to change the fuel sender to 3/8" too. Won't do much good if you don't change both.

If you move up to 3/8" line, don't forget to change the fuel sender to 3/8" too. Won't do much good if you don't change both.

I hadn't thought about that. That Charger I had using 1/2" line had a fuel cell in it with the line going directly to the cell. I'll have to check into that.

Don: That was my next question. I went out in the field today and got a tank and brought it in the shop and looked it over very close after i dug out the starling nest inside. Took the pickup unit out for observation and as you stated. Even if you use a larger line one would only be able to supply as much fuel as the smallest part of the system would flow. The float for the sending unit is attached to the fuel line which runs through the plate. I guess one could remove the 5/16 line and drill it out and solder a larger one in its place? What's the fix here? Someone stated back up the post that he thought the hemis came with the 5/16 line. Any foundation for that? My 440 should run in the 500 plus HP. Let me know gues as we should crank this turkey this week. I like the coat hanger trick. Thanks

Don: That was my next question. I went out in the field today and got a tank and brought it in the shop and looked it over very close after i dug out the starling nest inside. Took the pickup unit out for observation and as you stated. Even if you use a larger line one would only be able to supply as much fuel as the smallest part of the system would flow. The float for the sending unit is attached to the fuel line which runs through the plate. I guess one could remove the 5/16 line and drill it out and solder a larger one in its place? What's the fix here? Someone stated back up the post that he thought the hemis came with the 5/16 line. Any foundation for that? My 440 should run in the 500 plus HP. Let me know gues as we should crank this turkey this week. I like the coat hanger trick. Thanks

5/16" and 3/8" sending units are available.

http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/gastank_sending_units.html

I have the 3/8's pre bent line. How much of a hassle is it to get it in the car. I noticed that the hole in the frame that the original line goes thru could be a problem, being the new line is pre bent.

I used pre-bent SS 3/8" line on my car. It wasnt difficult to run at all. Just take your time when running it through that crossmember, you may need to tweek it a bit then bend it back in place, keep your eye on the line behind you so it doest scratch your paint.

-
Back