Fuel not getting to carb

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
I was trying to fire up the 360 in my Duster and put fuel in the tank and primed the carb.It kept wanting to start,but each time I went to look,no fuel was squirting out of the carb.I disconnected the line from the carb to the pump and it was bone dry,but disconnected the line from the tank to pump and sure enough,there was fuel.I did take the fuel pump before this to paint the engine,and Im positive I put it in right.The pump arm goes under the ecentric,right?Well,I did have a hard time installing it back in the engine ,im hoping I didnt destroy the pump doing this.What should I do?The pump is fairly new .The ecentric was in a position that the pump wouldnt go in straight.Im thinking I shouldve turned to motor to where the ecentric was in a position to install it straight.How can I tell if it is bad while it is out of the motor?

Sometimes the pump won't prime with dry valves. Try pouring fuel into the line on the output side of the pump too and see if that will help it pick up.

The eccentric was possibly on the fat side when you installed the pump...no biggie.
Take a look at your needle and seat in the carb...it's probably stuck closed.

I took the tank out of my 66 and couldn't get fuel to the carb, I put a gas can on and started the car so the pump was working. put the fuel line back on and primed the carb, the car started but wasn't getting fuel. Put the gas can back on and when I moved the car to where the nose pointing downhill fuel started siphoning out of the tank. Reconnected the fuel line and it started working fine.

Also depending on how long the pump has been on the shelf it may have stuck valves. Tapping the pump with a hammer sometimes will free them up as well. I always manually work the pump by hand before installing to make sure is sucks and blows accordingly... I have purchased new pumps from airtex before that were defective and had slack in the arm.

Thanks!I forgot to add that I have cars front jacked up on jackstands.Would this make it difficult to start also?I will try again tomorrow but I will put the front down and try again.Heres a pic of the carb.Is my stock fuel pump enough to feed this Eddie carb?(the carb has barely been used)Will I need the bigger lines?I thought also it was my fuel filter but it is new also and I did install it with the end that is stamped "IN" towards the fuel pump.
IMG_0392.jpg

Also depending on how long the pump has been on the shelf it may have stuck valves. Tapping the pump with a hammer sometimes will free them up as well. I always manually work the pump by hand before installing to make sure is sucks and blows accordingly... I have purchased new pumps from airtex before that were defective and had slack in the arm.

I was afraid to this because I thought it would break it,lol.

Stock pump and lines are fine. See if you can get it to pump fuel with the line off the carb...if you can it's the needle and seats...get them free by spraying a bunch of oil (wd-40) into the fuel port and tap on the float bowl with a screwdriver. The car sitting nose up is not helping. I like electric pumps! LOL

P.S. very common problem with Edelbrock/Carter carbs and the wonderful new gasohol.

-
Back