Fuel pressure drops once warm?

-

RobertP

Reaction score
So I have searched for about a hour on here for this issue and haven't figured it out yet.

to start here is my set up, 71 Duster 416 stroker, stock fuel tank, 1/2 inch from the fuel tank to the Holley blue pump 1/2 inch to the regulator then 3/8's to the carb. filter between the regulator and the pump. (new)
regulator set to 8 1/2 lbs. start and runs great holds pressure until the car gets warm. then will drop on the gauge all the way to 0 and yet the car doesn't die. this is the second gauge i have tried. fluid filled mounted just before the carb. Holley quick fuel 830 cfm. so i adjusted the regulator while the car was running and the gauge will move as high as 6 lbs, soon as the car cools down and i turned the pump on it went op to 14 lbs again adjusted down to 8 1/2 lbs. soon as it warms up right back down slowly to 0 again not shutting down. i have removed the fuel cap to see if there is any change it doesn't. i have followed the line all the way back making sure its not over heating and boiling the fuel. so to me the gauge and the regulator are working the carb has glass site plugs seems to stay level. I'm leaning towards the fuel pump not keeping up once warm. i have a quick fuel 125 gph on the shelf i might try. or am i completely missing something?

It's the gauge once those gauges get hot they won't read right, take a cloth with cold water and put on it while the gauge is warm the psi will rise, that's what happened to me when I tried it, I don't know why it dose it but it dose, I just set it while it's cold and forget about it

If that liquid gauge has a vent or little lever on top of it. Move it when its hot and you should get a accurate reading. also will have to do it when cold.

Great info guys thank you for your input. What type of gauge should I run to get accurate readings?

-
Back