Fuel Pump Mounting Problems

-

treetrimmer12

Reaction score
1968 Valiant Motor Mount.jpg
Just bought a 68 Valiant 2 door, slant 6. Fuel pump started spaying gas on first test drive after purchase. I finally got the old one out and replaced with a Delphi brand (standard replacement) from AutoZone. But while attempting to install, the left bolt was really hard to get started and the bottom of the housing was hitting the motor mount. Just after start-up, had big oil leak. Removed fuel pump and noticed the housing cracked and that the bottom of the housing tail was longer than the orginial. Obtained a Precision fuel pump (replacement) from Orielly's and attempted to install. Started to connect lines and noticed an even larger crack. When removed the casting was broken off. Attempted to remount old fuel pump but couldn't remount old pump. The bottom of the pump was hitting the motor mount which had been replaced by previous owner. Any body had problems with replacement motot mounts?

In the photo, I noticed the corner of the motor mount sticks out and up over the rubber and will need to be removed before next fuel pump installation.

Last edited:
The metal bracket that sticks out bolts to the block and the motor mount bolts to it. Even if the mount was sagging the pump to bracket clearance shouldn't change as there both bolted to the block. that being said I had the same problem on our 70 Dart. I ended up knocking the corner down on the bracket with a die grinder, all good.

The metal bracket that sticks out bolts to the block and the motor mount bolts to it. Even if the mount was sagging the pump to bracket clearance shouldn't change as there both bolted to the block. that being said I had the same problem on our 70 Dart. I ended up knocking the corner down on the bracket with a die grinder, all good.
Ok Thanks. That's what I'll do. Thanks again,

It helps to roll engine over by hand to get away from tension side of the stroke, then its less of a battle to get bolts started.

View attachment 1715285947 Just bought a 68 Valiant 2 door, slant 6. Fuel pump started spaying gas on first test drive after purchase. I finally got the old one out and replaced with a Delphi brand (standard replacement) from AutoZone. But while attempting to install, the left bolt was really hard to get started and the bottom of the housing was hitting the motor mount. Just after start-up, had big oil leak. Removed fuel pump and noticed the housing cracked and that the bottom of the housing tail was longer than the orginial. Obtained a Precision fuel pump (replacement) from Orielly's and attempted to install. Started to connect lines and noticed an even larger crack. When removed the casting was broken off. Attempted to remount old fuel pump but couldn't remount old pump. The bottom of the pump was hitting the motor mount which had been replaced by previous owner. Any body had problems with replacement motot mounts?

In the photo, I noticed the corner of the motor mount sticks out and up over the rubber and will need to be removed before next fuel pump installation.
I know this is an old post but I am working on a 1965 Dart and I have the same problem!The replacement pump is about 3/8" taller on the botom side and it doesn't clear the mount like the older and shorter pump does. I tried cutting the rubber with a stanley knife but like "340doc" said there is steel in the mount also. I will try to get a grinder in there tomorrow!

65 Dart 3 3-25-2021.jpg

-
Back