Fuel Pump Mounting

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does an electric fuel pump have to be mounted below the gas tank as the instructions state for gravity reasons?

Any input is welcome. Thanks FABO

Most manufaturers recommend below or even with the bottom of the tank....

Sometimes getting the pump below the tank is not possible (unless you mount it on the rear end, not). Get it as low as you can preferably on the inner frame rail and getting it as close to the tank as possible is just as important.

Terry

Sometimes getting the pump below the tank is not possible (unless you mount it on the rear end, not). Get it as low as you can preferably on the inner frame rail and getting it as close to the tank as possible is just as important.

Terry

Have it currently mounted on the right rear lower inside frame rail where the front of the leaf spring is located. Then hung the mufflers and there is only about 1/4" clearance. Kinda worried about the heat?

Problem or not.............:dontknow:

Have it currently mounted on the right rear lower inside frame rail where the front of the leaf spring is located. Then hung the mufflers and there is only about 1/4" clearance. Kinda worried about the heat?

Problem or not.............:dontknow:

That's to close even with a heat shield IMHO.

I installed a sump.....

Barracuda519-vi.jpg

And fabricated a mount for my filter & pump....

SANY0027-vi.jpg

And installed in on the right side trunk extension....

SANY0022-vi.jpg

With a shield so the tire doesn't kick anything into the pump or filter...
SANY0003-vi.jpg

It's all rubber mounted, but you can still hear it a bit. The feed is almost the same level as the inlet so it's a win-win as far as space and efficiency. :-D

Ideally you want to mount it below the tank..but it can't always be done that way,mine is mounted on the inside of the passenger rear frame rail where it starts to bend,i've had no problems with it going on 4 years now...just make sure you mount a filter BEFORE the pump to try and keep dirt out of your pump,helping it to last longer...

Mine is 1/4" below, and works fine........BUT, no filter before the pump.......

..........and I paid the price............Now the filter is in place.........

...........and so is a new pump.

I have the Holley blue pump system and have
had some thoughts about how I would like an alternative
that is still affordable and doesn't hang off the frame.
I called the Holley tech line and spoke to a rep about the
capabilities of thier requlators.
I asked if it would be possible to run a in tank fuel injection
pump and regulate to 6psi.
His answer was yes and to use the 12-803 BP regulator with
the same size return as main fuel line.
He said the regulator could handle 60psi, but would never
see that pressure because of the return.
I haven't worked out all the details yet as I need to look
at available pumps and thier capasities.
The only other thing to look at is a crash shutoff, i don't
forsee an issue as I am going to use an off the shelf cutoff switch.
Might be an alternative to the after market pumps.

:salut: Thanks for the suggestions and yes, filter is inline between the tank and the pump.

FASTBACK340 John, Thank you for taking the time to post those pix and your method. I do believe your attention to detail and patience is amazing. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to list either of those qualities on my resume. LOL

Just taking 3 steps forward and 2 steps back time & again.....becomes frustrating. :hmph: Might try moving the mufflers forward for the time being just to get the engine fired up and broken in.

What would be a safe distance from the exhaust for the short term?

1/2" at least.. put a crayon mark on the pipe closest to the fuel line, if it dosn't melt after 10mins @ 1000rpm or so, your safe.
AS far as mounting the fuel pump, best bet scenario would be to put a fuel cell in the trunk, and mount the pump(s) to the frame.
use rubber isolators. let gravity be your friend.

FASTBACK340,
sweet setup man! u gots the skills to pay the bills...

4secondsflat offers new stock type tanks for a-bodies with the sump already attached. Just a thought.

ON MY DUSTER WITH FACTORY TANK, I MOUNTED MY HOLLEY BLUE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE FRAME INFRONT OF THE PASSENGER LEAF SPRING MOUNT. tHERE IS A NICE POCKET FOR IT TO SIT IN THERE, AND IT IS WHERE THE FACTORY FUEL LINES ARE ALSO, SO SPLICING WAS EASY

If you use Weldon pumps you do not have to mount below or level they will both push and pull. Most put them right beside fuel cell inside the tank and don't have to worry about protecting the pump or lines.

Just about all others except the Product Engineering line are mounted below for gravity feed.

I just changed over 2 CARS from total extremely high dollar Pro Systems fuel systems that were mounted on the right rear frame rails to Weldon and moved everything inside the trunk areas next to the roll cages.

Remember a failing fuel pump is like your heart giving out, both systems heart or engine will fail and it is not a place to save some dough...

-
Back