Fuel Pump Polling - Help please

-

Old Country

Reaction score
A Question to this awesome FABO forum, but first you'll want the specs:

Spec: Holley Electric Black pump connected just after the pump to a large Fram canister filter (mic unknown), to stock hard-line (5/16") dead-headed to a non-bypass Holley Reg set at 7 psi.. Car is a 72 Duster, 408 stroker, six-pack with Dir. Conn. Holley carbs (mech sec), solid cam .543" lift, 244 dur, Eddy RPM Performer heads...etc. I just refreshed the engine (still on the stand) however, we're est 435 HP at the tires, 4 speed car. Strictly a street romper car, no strip action at all, just a fun cruiser.

OK: The pump setup was on the car when I bought it. Pump is bolted directly above the left axle to the floor-pan, mounted sideways, way above the gas tank...which is of course ALL wrong/bad....and this thing is noisier than my first wife! No fuel starvation problems that I'm aware of according to the previous owner, however that was with a much milder hyd cam, so now I suspect there might be once I get this puppy back on the road.

I'm going to replace the pump with a quieter non-vane style...ie: going with a 'Gerotor pump'. They're vastly quieter and I think they're more 'street' friendly...last longer, don't over-heat...etc., and remember, this is NOT a race car.
AND so, the question.

"What Gerotor style pump do you guys recommend?" (listed are what I can afford)
>Holley HP 125?
>Mallory Comp 110?
>Holley HP 150?
>Mallory Comp 140?
>Something I've not listed?

"Should I move up to 3/8" ID aluminum lines?" (I'm thinking of course!)
"Should I change to a bypass style Reg with hopes it will make life easier on the new pump...?"

I could go with a mechanical pump like a buddy recommended, but I'm concerned about it keeping psi constant when romp'n around (as we do) and would like to stay with an electric...unless a mechanical makes more sense to you guys and if so "which one?"

I thank you all kindly for any input you can share.
Your's truly,
Old Country ~

>>> I posted this in the fuel forum also. I'm listing it here simply to gain more eye-balls & opinions, so if you answer here, no need to go there. :cheers:

I have never had a mallory 140 fail. #/8 line wont help much unless you change to 3/8 pickup in the tank

-
Back