Fuel Pump Question

-

roosduster

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
I have a 1973 Plymouth Duster with a 360/380 crate engine and I am just trying to decide what kind of fuel pump I should get. I have a low end electric fuel pump right now, and it has a hard time pumping the gas I need. So I was just wondering what other pumps people are using and what some of you would recommened. Also what gph rating i should look at getting. Also just any other suggestions on the way to improve the whole fuel system, besides the electric pump it is a stock fuel system. Thanks for the help.

Seth

Buy a Holley blue pump around $110. You have 5/16" fuel line now. 3/8" would be better. You'd need a new fuel pickup for the gas tank and run new line to the front. That would suffice you until you make enough horsepower to get in the high 10's. Use a painless fuel pump relay to power the pump.

don

Thanks for the advice. How hard is it to run a fuel line? I assume not hard but I have never done it before. Also how hard is it to install a new fuel pickup in the gas tank? If this should last until I get enough horsepower then it will last me a long time as that won't be happening for awhile.

Seth

Mancini sells a 3/8" pick-up:
http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/3gastaseun1.html
It doesn't have a return, so you'd have to fab up something. Unless your running nitrous, I think a high volumn mechanical pump and maybe a supplemental electric pump will be okay. I'm sure I'll catch heat for saying this, but I've gotten away with some pretty stout naturally aspirated engines running a 5/16" line and I never had fuel starvation problems. My .02 worth.

Yeah, but running 3/8 alum line and installing a holley elec pump is a good Saturday morning and afternoon job. Its a lot easier than it looks. Put a filter before the pump though.

lenweiler said:
I suggest a return line. Easier on the pump.
how do run the return line- before or after the regulator- does anybody have a diagram or pictures- I'm about to do my car and I want to use a return line to save the pump.

i'd be interested also. i will be changing out line to 3/8" on stock pickup.
a sump on a stock tank would be possible but less preferable.
i've know the pump has to overcome G-forces on the fuel in the line
during acceleration. how would you determine pump size and pressure to
the regulator. should tank still be vented?
thanks longarm

I'm running a Demon carb with the BG regulator. When using a return line, the regulator goes AFTER the carb. I've since moved the reg from the firewall to the pass. side inner fender, since IHRA won't allow any fuel lines on the fw. But the layout is the same.
IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0088.gif

The return line is now running back here.
IMG_0089.gif

I believe the fuel pressure is set around 6lbs. at WOT. The pump sizing depends on your engine requirements. No need for a killer pump that could feed a Top Sportsman if you're just running a steeter or casual weekend racer. You always need a vent.

I have always ran a Carter Mechanical Strip Pump. Now that I am running approx. 450 horse I am laying down at the top of third gear. But I just bought 3/8s line from The Paddock ( which was the most reasonable I found ) and a 3/8 fuel sending unit off the I net ( hope it works ). I am going to try the mech. pump 1st and see if it will handle the fuel needs. After all the Hemis were run with a mech. pump.

-
Back