Fuel Pump & Zero Fuel Pressure

-

Thrashard340

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. About 7 months ago, my Duster stopped running. Actually about 7 months ago, I parked it. After about 2 months later, I tried to start it. Good spark, no fuel. I figured it was the fuel pump. Got a little got up in things and fast forward to now. I replaced the fuel pump and still no gas. It's a Carter mechanical street/strip pump. I used a hand held vacuum pump on the fuel line that connects to the pump inlet side and the gas tank. I was able to pull gas through so I know there aren't any problems between the gas tank to the pump.

I realize my problems may be worse now. When I mounted the pump, I felt resistance on the pump. But since it cranks and still doesn't pump out gas, I am thinking that the cam lobe may be worn. What else could it be, right?

So my question is two-fold.

1. Did I leave anything out? Could it be something else?
  2. If it is the fuel pump lobe. What are my options? I narrowed it down to two...
    1. Swap the cam out. Not my first choice as I don't want to tear the motor down because everything else is still good.
    2. Upgrade to electric. I'm leaning towards this route because I ultimately want to do this anyways. Eventually, I will want more power and will need a fuel system to support it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

The pump runs on an eccentric bolted to the end of the cam, so worse case you'd have to pull the timing cover and replace it and not the whole cam.

But I doubt that's your problem. If you installed the pump and felt spring pressure against the pump arm then you're good. What I would try is filling the bowl on the carb with fuel so the engine will run for more than a couple of seconds. Start the engine and give the pump a chance to get fuel up to the carb. Or disconnect the pump outlet and feed it to a container. Start it up and verify that the pump is working - or not. A little cranking alone might not be enough to get it primed.

eccentric.jpg

yep what he said...........possibly wrong pump...arm may be at wrong angle.....

The pump runs on an eccentric bolted to the end of the cam, so worse case you'd have to pull the timing cover and replace it and not the whole cam.

But I doubt that's your problem. If you installed the pump and felt spring pressure against the pump arm then you're good. What I would try is filling the bowl on the carb with fuel so the engine will run for more than a couple of seconds. Start the engine and give the pump a chance to get fuel up to the carb. Or disconnect the pump outlet and feed it to a container. Start it up and verify that the pump is working - or not. A little cranking alone might not be enough to get it primed.

There was definitely spring pressure. The pump is seated correctly. The pump outlet is already disconnected. I took the liberty of testing it before I was going to put the rest of it back together. There is fuel in the fuel line to the inlet. The pump isn't pulling the fuel through.

-
Back