FUEL REG./ SUPERCHARGER ?s

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
This question is for those of you that are running a supercharger. I got all the right ignition parts i need. I have a Holley blue fuel pump. I am having trouble finding the right fuel regulator. Alot of them come with a return line port inwhich i dont need. They all also come with a vacuum line port. They say it goes to the intake for higher RPMs. Im stumped Whats your thoughts ? Thanks

With a blower I would drop kick that pump to the garbage.

You need a return style regulator with a vacuum port. Hook that port to manifold vacuum so that when your fuel pressure rises with boost.

Deadhead regulators are bottom of the barrel stuff.

Aeromotive 13204 Aeromotive A1000 Carbureted Bypass Fuel Pressure Regulators | Summit Racing

Use an efi pump and this regulator. Its pressure to boost rise is 1:1 but is adjustable too.
I used an A1000 Aeromotive pump that was way more than enough but it was the best quality at the time and with mega buck builds quality pumps are required for insurance. I switched to a 340 lph in tank Aeromotive Stealth pump and have not got the engine back to life from being mothballed. I have a new ignition program too, MSD Programmable with a 2 bar map sensor and will be sticking with the same blow through carb from The Carb Shoppe.
It seems like you’re doing a blow through so I would also recommend a return style system. Ditch the Holley pump.
If I were to buy everything today I would have just went with an EFI system from Holley that was designed for power adders. Now, if I do go EFI for timing control reasons I will already have an EFI pump. Even sticking with blow through carbs I still recommend an EFI pump.

Just my experience with a D1 Procharger on a 408.

IMG_3327.jpeg

IMG_3331.jpeg

I agree with both guys above, but @Newbomb Turk you don’t want to reference the regulator at the manifold. You want to reference it at the carb hat. You don’t want the regulator to see vacuum, just positive pressure.

At 7 psi of boost, if you don’t reference the fuel regulator to boost pressure, and your fuel pressure is 7 psi, you’ll have ZERO fuel flow. At 7 psi of boost you should have 14psi of fuel pressure. At 10psi you need 17 psi of fuel pressure. And remember pump output goes DOWN as fuel pressure goes up. Buy a good pump (not a Holley blue) and a good 1:1 regulator. I use the aeromotive linked above in my boat with two A750 pumps and use aeromotive’s twin in tank 340s in my truck. Their stuff is dead reliable and good quality.

I agree with both guys above, but @Newbomb Turk you don’t want to reference the regulator at the manifold. You want to reference it at the carb hat. You don’t want the regulator to see vacuum, just positive pressure.

My thinking was under vacuum it would lower fuel pressure (as long as it’s not making boost) and that’s almost as good as using vacuum advance.

Either way, I agree he needs to boost regulate his fuel pressure.

If you vacuum reference and set fuel pressure at idle vacuum (8-14”) then at 0” you’ll blow the needles off the seats and flood it.

If you vacuum reference and set fuel pressure at idle vacuum (8-14”) then at 0” you’ll blow the needles off the seats and flood it.

Yup. I had to think that through. It needs to go on the carb hat or the OP will want to whooooop my arse when his car burns to the ground.

No one wants that lol. Certainly not me.

As for the vaccum line from the regulator i was told to put to the carb hat. As for the regulators with the return line port im not sure how im going to make that work. I just put in a new tank & sending unit before i had the supercharger idea.

I just found a EARLS WELD LESS FUEL RETURN FITTING KIT It come with a tube so the fuel isnt just splashing in. Im hoping i can install it on the side of the tank near the top.

@WAYNE0 My first tank that used the frame rail mounted A1000 pump was like that. Just braised the return fitting into the upper side portion of the tank.
It’s not ideal but it’ll work. Tanks, Inc. makes an efi tank and has 340lph Walbro pumps for much much less than Aeromotive’s.

As for the vaccum line from the regulator i was told to put to the carb hat. As for the regulators with the return line port im not sure how im going to make that work. I just put in a new tank & sending unit before i had the supercharger idea.

Yeah, I got my arse in front of me with that bad advice. It should go to the carb hat.

I just found a EARLS WELD LESS FUEL RETURN FITTING KIT It come with a tube so the fuel isnt just splashing in. Im hoping i can install it on the side of the tank near the top.
You can use that or, lots of guys just solder a fitting to the fuel pick up plate next to the outlet.
Look at post 10 for the correct way.
drilling a hole in the tank

I just ordered a Holley EFI fuel tank module 350lph from Holley. They say it handles up to 700 hp. No return required. It fits into the factory tank. Now all i have to do is pick a regulator. The way it sounds i need one with a vacuum port.

-
Back