Fuel sender going bad?

-

ArizonaKid

Reaction score
I'm not %100 sure if this is the problem or if I have a grounding issue; My '74 swinger's fuel gauge has been acting odd, it's acting like the tank won't fill all the way, but I know it is. the gauge used to go a little past the full line when full, now it won't reach the full line. When filling, it also takes less fuel than it should.

My question is; could my fuel sender (a factory unit that tested fine when I got it) be going bad, Or could I have a grounding issue somewhere? Which is the more likely of the two or is something else more likely?

If it is the sender, who makes a good factory style replacement?

The float might be compromised.

I thought of that, but this has been happening for about two weeks, shouldn't the float be sunk by now?

It depends on where the hole is. Might take a while for it to fill up. That would explain both your symptoms though.

At least thats a cheaper fix than the whole sender, if it sinks on me, I'll start with that.

You are one of very very few who can/did state what the gauge was doing before any repair was attempted. So if at some point you do install an aftermarket sender ( that's what everyone else does ) and the fuel gauge still does the same, you wont be able to blame the sender ( that too is what everyone else does ). Good luck with it.

COAZ 9202 B is the number for the float from your blue oval dealer....

do not,i repeat,do not buy a aftermarket sender.they are all crap.repair your sender you have,you will not regret it.

Alright, the gauge is now reading empty, so I'm thinking the float sunk, I'll check it out at the end of the week, but if the float isn't the issue, any suggestions on what to check and how?

You are one of very very few who can/did state what the gauge was doing before any repair was attempted. So if at some point you do install an aftermarket sender ( that's what everyone else does ) and the fuel gauge still does the same, you wont be able to blame the sender ( that too is what everyone else does ). Good luck with it.[/QUO

Great info tks

First thing I would do is check if the grounding strap is still in place on your sending unit.

It's pretty easy to remove the sending unit from the tank to check things out. I don't know if the gas gauge works in my "new" 64 valiant but I had to replace the tank due to pinholes. I checked the resistance of my sending unit from empty to full and it seemed pretty linear. So I'm staying with the original because it seems the after market ones do not have the correct resistance range. My original brass float had fuel in it so I replaced it with one from Vans Auto along with the "sock" which was severely deteriorated. The replacement float is brass and looks like the original. Vans has the consistently best prices on fuel components.

Then check your dash regulator, is your water temp reading OK.
I bought a new one off of ebay for $35 it works fine so far.

Found out the float was just fine, the problem was that the little spot weld on the copper arm touching the resistance scale was gone, which caused the copper arm to not touch the bands at all, leading to an open. I bent the arm to contact the scale and it works fine now.

I am going to have to find a replacement soon, apparently these ones from dixie are made by the original vendors, so thats going to be my choice.

http://www.dixierestorationparts.com/product.cfm?pi=3FF69CF9-E8FE-44B6-0709AEAFB0CF0BD1

Had the same problem with one of my dads cars. It was a pin whole in the float

-
Back