Fuel/Starting Issue?

-

SinSled13

Reaction score
Im messing with a 75 Dart Custom w/318.

I ran the car all day saturday with no issues, then it sat Saturday night. Jump in the car sunday morning, and itll turn over but not fire up. Gave up on taking it. Attempt to start it monday morning with the same result. I pour a little gas into the carb and it starts right up. Now its sitting here idling fine, almost like its not getting gas at start up but does after that, any ideas?

I dont know if its related or not but it spits and sputters going up steep hills as well.

I would suspect tank venting problems. Next time you park it, remove the cap and notice how much pressure "seems" to be coming in / out of the cap. Leave the cap loose overnight, being careful to protect from rain, etc. See if this improves starting.

Try to do some testing. Find a hill that will load the engine heavily, and try going up with the cap removed.

If that seems to improve things, examine the fuel venting system. You'll need a shop manual. You can download a 73 manual WHICH MAY BE DIFFERENT from MyMopar. I MAY have a paper manual I can post specific shots out of

What you are dealing with is the smog "evaporative controls" many call the "carbon canister." Do you know if this has been modified or removed on your car?

Please READ the shop manual. There's procedures in there regarding pump pressure and volume testing.

You need a vacuum / pressure test gauge, which are not expensive, and a container to gauge pump volume. You'll need a few fittings to access the pump in / out fittings.

"Generally" just for doo-das, you might want to replace the rubber lines at the pump inlet and between the tank and supply tube.

-
Back