Fuel Tank Capacity???

-

demon700

Reaction score
Since I bought my demon 2 1/2 years ago, the fuel gauge as always read empty. I would maybe put 5 or 6 litres in at a time just to run it up and down the road. I always assumed there was a problem either in the sending unit or the guage or somewhere between, and thats why it never showed a level. Tonight i threw over 20 litres in it, and the guage came up just to the empty hash mark...what is the capacity of one of these tanks? Surely 20 litres would register more then that, wouldn't it? I am trailering it to the alignment shop in the morning and may try to fill it to see what happens...

I think they were 16 gallon tanks in the dusters and demons,hopefully someone else will chime in.

either way it should read more then it is then eh. When the key is on, the needle slowly comes up just on the upper edge of the last mark, which makes it seem like it is working...do the sending units ground with the tank? All i found was the one dark blue wire on the stud, which looks like it ties into the tail light connector...then goes maybe to the dash? the tank and sending unit were replaced just before i bought it...i hope i don't have to pull the cluster again...

Since I bought my demon 2 1/2 years ago, the fuel gauge as always read empty. I would maybe put 5 or 6 litres in at a time just to run it up and down the road. I always assumed there was a problem either in the sending unit or the guage or somewhere between, and thats why it never showed a level. Tonight i threw over 20 litres in it, and the guage came up just to the empty hash mark...what is the capacity of one of these tanks? Surely 20 litres would register more then that, wouldn't it? I am trailering it to the alignment shop in the morning and may try to fill it to see what happens...

had the same problem on the valiant, one day I had enough and decided to pull it. Found out the brass float had a hole in it soldered the hole and made sure it would float in water, reinstalled and good to go only costed me my time and a little tinkering:happy7:

Thanks for the tip! I will have to run the gas out of her now before i do anything, but after she gets back from her alignment i shouldn't have any problems doing that. How does the unit come out, just a quarter turn type of deal? I may pull the cluster again just to see, make sure everything is clean and tight.

I prefer to take the tank down, some do it with the tank in place. Before you do anything check the ground strap on the fuel line to sending unit to ensure its clean and not broke.

To remove the lock ring I take a flat blade screw driver and tap it with a hammer about an inch or two and the lock ring will come loose. Then just pull the sending unit and inspect it for dirt. Unclip the brass float and throw in in a pale of water, if it sinks thats your problem if it floats check the little electrical wiper on the sending unit to make sure its making contact all the way through its motion. my bet is on the float though

the ground wire is hooked to the fuel line? looking at the sending unit under the car, i see the fuel line coming out, and just to the right of it, the stud with the blue wire...maybe its not grounded at all. I assumed it would ground with the tank...
So there should be 2 wires visible along with the fuel line on the outsideof tank?? Once again, thanks for the help folks

i don't have that, so maybe thats my problem. I'll try running a ground wire if it ever stops raining. Thanks again for your help

-
Back