Fuel Tank Capacity

-

Bygblok

Reaction score
My wife and I were in the 69 today and it very "conveniently" ran out of gas. I knew the guage was off because I could fill it to where it was running out the fuel neck, it would read full for about fifteen miles, then go towards empty. My mistake was thinking that it has a 16-18 gallon tank. After it was all said and done today, I could still only get about 12 gallons in the thing. I didn't think they had a tank that small. Was/is there a tank that small? Can't seem to nail anything down in the searches. They all say 16 or bigger........help?

16 gallons will more than likely only hold an actual 14 or 15. Your vent tube is probably coming out of the fill tube near the top, so it will get air trapped in the tank. My question would be if the pickup tube is actually sitting on the bottom of the tank. Are there any dents in the bottom of the tank?

I thought about the pickup but I haven't pulled the sending unit yet to see. I know the tank was boned this evening when I put fuel in it, I drove about three miles to the gas station and it only took a shade over 5 more gallons before the neck was full again. I didn't look for dents yet either. Guess I get under it tomorrow or one day this weekend. I know got a giggle out of it and made sure I knew that the 70 Camaro never did this to us.......... and why is it stored right now......... Oh well!

Years ago I remember my dad having a gas can in the old Mopars he had. The gas guages weren't very accurate even close to new. My 69 charger would get Air trapped and send a geyser two or three foot out of the fill cap on top of the fender. Learned real quick to listen to the gurgling sounds. Couple of baths in gas fixed me.

Check to see if the filler neck was replace with a longer one from a 1970 Duster. I've seen this the cause the pump kicking off before the tank was full. It was in the tank to far. just a thought. Steve

-
Back