Fuel Tank Removal

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
I am finally getting to my '66 Barracuda. I brought it home in September from North Idaho. It has been sitting for 10 years with gas in the tank; my guess is between 5 and 10 gallons. I am working on getting the tank out, but am having trouble getting the filler tube out of the tank. Anyone have some tips to help? Thanks. I am attempting to attach a few pictures... If they don't show up, I haven't figured out the process yet.

Cuda_1.jpg

Cuda_2.jpg

Engine_1.jpg

The filler neck should come right out. Theres a gasket around the neck which you can try to loosen up with a flathead screwdriver. I assume you are going to get a new gasket so you probably dont need to worry about harming the gasket. Also, make sure the gastank is level. If the side is hanging down the way it does naturally if you leave the filler neck attached and undue the straps, it pinches the filler neck kindve and makes it hard to get out.

Thanks. I am still a bit confused. Should the filler neck come out with the tank installed, or do you lower the tank away from the filler neck? Thanks again.

not much..its no good for anything...
burn it in a metal can or something is what we usually do

If yours is like my son's '74 Dart Sport, the filler neck pokes through the quarter panel and is held in place with three screws hidden under the gas cap. The filler neck then slides through a rubber boot attached to the trunk floor. Finally, the neck goes through a gas tank rubber grommet. If the boot and grommet are both original, or at least several years old, they are probably stiff and stuck to the filler neck. Friction is your only hurdle to overcome, nothing else (except the three screws I mentioned) hold the neck in place.

As stated above, use a screwdriver or utility knife and separate it from the boot and grommet. You can try to work the neck up out of the quarter panel by twisting, pulling, and prying. But it might be easier to drop the tank, so its weight is working in your favor. Just make sure to use a floor jack so you can ease it down under control. I would certainly siphon out the bulk of the gas before starting this chore. The sloshing gas makes the tank unsteady.

Jerry

If you have the filler neck still attached to the body, remove the screws. That way you can pull the filler tube out of the tank with the tank still secured. That's how I perform the removal on my Dart Sport. Then undue the straps and drop the tank (make sure all the fuel lines are disconnected). As said above, siphon as much gas out of the tank as possible. When you reinstall, I recommend you replace the float, pick-up screen (filter) and sending unit gasket. To help you get the filler neck back in, coat the filler neck and gasket with vaseline and it should go right back together in the reverse order. Also, you may want to have a radiator shop check the tank for leaks and flush it out. Radiator shops in my area charge anywhere from 60-80 bucks to do this (including repairs), but you don't want to reinstall, fill up and have it start leaking.

I agree with middle age crisis - some other tips, use a little penetrating oil to help soften the rubber on the grommet. remove the screws behind the filler cap. Take the rubber boot loose (screwed to the floor) from the floor and work it up on the tube, then you can see the O ring gasket on the tank where the tube enters from the inside of the trunk. Spray it down with wd 40 or PB blaster and let it sit a little while - then - twist the tube while pulling it, should come right out. Siphon as much of the old crap as possible and dispose of it - nasty ! I'd also pull the sending unit out as well before dropping the tank, use a brass drift to un lock the ring and yank it out. Its a little easier to do the sending unit with it in the car since the tank wont move around on you as it would with it on the floor etc. You can then have it repaired or buy a new one, about $160 on ebay. Some outfits use a process called gas tank renu which lines the inside and outside with a heavy duty polymer that wont dissolve in gas, they apply it and bake the tank to adhere and cure it. I have a tank done this way and its been perfect for 10+ years.

Again, thanks a lot for all your help. I'm hoping to get back to it this weekend. I like the idea of having the inside of the tank coated.

Well, I finally got my tank out. I had a very tough time getting the grommet to move on the fill neck. I had to trim the grommet on the outside about two-thirds of the way around (as far as I could get). Then I shoved the grommet into the tank about half way around. This finally made it so it moved on the fill neck. Then I ran into interference with the passenger side exhaust pipe (from an aftermarket dual exhaust). So I had to remove the passenger side exhaust pipe (they didn't make it easy by welding the nuts to the hanger bolts). That worked, the tank is out. Now I am wondering if I should get a new tank or clean up the old one - thoughts?? I do need a new sending unit - I tried to blow the old gas out of the tank through the gas line attachment on the sending unit by slightly pressurizing the tank - nothing would come out!

You could have the tank cooked out to remove any sludge, you may want to get a new tank if your budget will allow you to. install a new sending unit and gasket. Don't forget to replace your fuel filter. It probably would be a good idea to rebuild the carburator too. Your car looks like it is in decent shape, my dad has a 1966 Barrauda Formula S, 273 4-speed, it was his first car. Good luck!!

There's really no reason to toss the tank, unless it is extremely rusty or corroded on the inside. Take a good look inside with a bright flashlight. Also, check the soldered joint around the vent return tube (if so equipped).

When you reinstall this tank, or its replacement, don't forget the ground strap that connects the metal fuel line to the fuel sending unit's outlet tube (skipping over the short rubber line).

Jerry

Thanks a lot. I think I will try to salvage the tank. It is pushed (dented) up on the bottom. What's the best way to pop this out? Thanks again.

It depends on how badly dented it is. Use one of those cheapo suction cup dent pullers, depends on whether you can get the suction cup to cooperate. Take it to a paintless dent removal outfit, they can massage it back, or maybe a local tank repair should be able to handle it as well.

If you have ALL of the gas out rinsed out and gone completely, throw a match in and make sure it is all gone. you can get it airtight and hook some compressed air into it like 5lbs and heat the dented area with a torch. it'll pop right out to its original shape. And if youre still scared to try it put some dry ice into the tank to keep it from xploding.
Of course i would never recommend anyone try this, but that's how we used to fix our gas tanks when we were young and dumb

I like the match idea... Thanks :toothy7:. The heating idea sounds like it would work great. If I rince it out with detergent, it should have no more gas in it. Thanks again for all the ideas.

-
Back