Fuel tank/system replacement on a 65 4-DR Valiant

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
How difficult is it to replace the fuel tank on a 65 Valiant 4-DR? Upon having the car towed to my house today I think either a fuel line broke or a hole in the fuel tank occured, there was gas everywhere. Where's the most economical place to find one of these fuel tanks new? Should I get a fuel line from Right Stuff or Inline tube or could I make it myself? I don't even know, is it just one front to rear fuel line on here? My Charger had a main and a 2 piece vapor line. I was told the reason why it wouldn't start was because it needed a carb rebuild. I didn't research the car much because I got it late today. I know it's got the Holley 1bbl. More than likely everything is original on here. I don't know if it's a 170 or 225. Is this a pretty easy carb to rebuild? I noticed the choke was missing out of the manifold, I don't know the reason behind it, but the previous owner had a manual pull choke rigged up. I don't like how it was put together, so I want to go back to correct. Any help offered would be appreciated, I don't know A-bodies well.

A single strap should be holding the tank in place. There will be a single wire for the sender and a small gound strap. Undo the tank strap then wriggle the tank out of the filler tube. I think the cheapest place to get a tank is rock auto.

I think if your carb has pieces missing I would go with a rebuilt unit, or go to the wreckers and pull a complete carb and rebuild that one. In the early years they are pretty simple.

To identify the difference between a 170 and a 225 is by checking the length of the bypass hose, a short bypass hose about 1.5 inches is a 170 a 3 inch bypass hose is a 225.

But before you start pulling any thing try to find out what's causing your problem, why buy stuff you don't need.

I went to the house where I have the car stored at yesterday and played with a little. It appears the tank may have a small leak in it. But there is still some gas in it. I sprayed a little starting fluid in the cabr and tried to start it. It fired up but only ran what was in the carb and then died. Probably ran 10-15 seconds each time. The shop where I got it from said it needed a carb rebuild to run. Which by what I found yesterday is probably true. There was no fuel smell in the carb. And it didn't even have an air cleaner. Everything is on the carb that should be there except the owner took off the manifold choke but left it in the glovebox. There isn't anything wrong with it. So I've got it soaking in some evapo-rust and want to put it back on, rebuild the carb, new fuel filter, and check the main fuel line. It should fire up then. I'll wait until it's a little warmer outside.

If the fuel in the tank is good and the pickup is sitting in the fuel is should suck up some fuel and try to run a little longer I would think.
Pull the tank out, it's not to bad of a job if you have the back of the car sitting on jack stands.

-
Back