fuel tank

-

63TOAD

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have a 66 Valiant and want to remove the gas tank for a
clean out or replaccement. My question is what is the easiest way
to empty it. Also has anyone used the Spectre replacement tank from Rock Auto? Any suggestions and tips for doing this? Thanks for your input.

i went up to harbor freight and got the cheapo hand pump to empty my tank. dont expect it to work for more than a weekend though. mine was crapped out next time i went to use it.

I have a 66 Valiant and want to remove the gas tank for a
clean out or replaccement. My question is what is the easiest way
to empty it. Also has anyone used the Spectre replacement tank from Rock Auto? Any suggestions and tips for doing this? Thanks for your input.
After a mouth full of gas, much to my sons amusement, I went and got this. Added a length of hose for the tank side and it works great.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/DuraHeat-Ker...MI97PpwoyH4AIVGHZeCh3YvQjrEAQYAiABEgJew_D_BwE

this is the one i used. like i said it wears out fast. maybe if i had cleaned the gas residue out of it it would have lasted longer. it was 6 bucks with tax and a 20 percent coupon

Multi-Use Transfer Pump

image_26864.jpg

Drill a hole in the bottom and before re-install weld on a drain plug bung. Kills 2 birds with one stone.

I have an old electric fuel pump. I don't remember exactly where it came from. Plumb in where easiest. Sometimes at the tank. Sometimes by the pump on the engine. Using a remote start switch as a dead man switch, wire to the battery however is easiest. I know jumper cables were part of this once!
If the pump is running, and your gas can isn't filling up, you're blowing air into the tank. Switch the polarity, and you're good to go.

-
Back