Full front clip parts list

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm restoring a 1975 Dart Sport. I plan on removing the current front clip (a '72) and going back to the original beak. Please understand that I'm not looking for opinions on what anyone else would do, I'm doing my thing. That said - I need to know a complete list of parts I will need. I know I need:

- Hood
- Fenders
- Front upper valance/header (the beak)
- Grill and headlight surrounds
- Bumper
- Bumper filler
- Bumper 5mph mounts
- Front fender struts

What else will I need? I feel like I would have to change the upper radiator/hood latch crossmember, right? What else will I need?

Thanks!

It's been a long time since I converted my '74 Duster to a '75 Dart Sport but I'm pretty sure the hood latch tray has to be changed for the shorter '75 Dart hood. Not sure if the support under the tray is different. I don't know if the engine bay cowl-to-fender braces are different. I left those out and also used the standard bumper brackets and lighter '73/'74 Bumper with no filler.

I believe there are some nylon inserts for grille/bezel screws that are needed and sometimes broken or missing.

Your list seems pretty complete but hopefully other will chime in and I'll post if I think of anything else.

My chassis started out as an earlier '74 so it had provisions for standard bumper brackets and the corresponding conventional bumper. It also came with a smaller, formed reinforcement plate that fit between the brackets & bumper, but could be removed. Your '75 chassis was designed for the "shock absorber" bumper brackets and have different bolt-on points on the frame. (Unless the previous owner made provisions for the older bolt pattern to accept a '72 bumper.) Nore: The '73/'74 bumpers themselves have a different pattern than the '75/'76 and do not interchange between the "standard" and "shock absorber" brackets. '75/'76 bumpers have a HUGE and very heavy full width reinforcement between the bumper and "shock absorber" brackets.

You can tell the difference between the two by the number of carriage bolts on the front of the bumper. "Shock absorber" bracket bumpers have 6. The 2 extras are near the upper corners of the license plate area. Standard bracket bumpers have 4. Note pic of white Dart compared to mine.

I was surprised thatmy older bumper turned out well with the later grille because the '75/'76 filler not only extended out to fill the extended bumper but also up a little bit! There was a tiny bit of "wiggle room" with the standard bumper bracket mounting.

If you don't find the parts you need locally, let me know. I have a few, but I'm near Daytona Beach, FL.

I'm curious.....does your '75 still have the 3-piece full width bezel across the back, around the taillights? Or 4 individual taillight bezels?

.staticflickr.com%2f2843%2f8965145150_852e46282f_z.jpg

DSC00633.JPG

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the "beak" is different from 73/4 to 75/6.

Also the lower grille mount is specific to 73/4 and 75/6

I had to replace some pieces on this 75 dart and at first I had 73 pieces and side by side, they were different. I had to hunt down the 75/6 specific pieces.

Just an FYI so you can look for 75/6 pieces for a more successful swap.

Its snowing here but this week if you need side by side pics, I can help because I have this 75 dart and a 74 dart sport.

Resized_20220711_172817(1).jpeg

I'm pretty sure the "beak" is different from 73/4 to 75/6.

Also the lower grille mount is specific to 73/4 and 75/6

I had to replace some pieces on this 75 dart and at first I had 73 pieces and side by side, they were different. I had to hunt down the 75/6 specific pieces.

Just an FYI so you can look for 75/6 pieces for a more successful swap.

Its snowing here but this week if you need side by side pics, I can help because I have this 75 dart and a 74 dart sport.

View attachment 1716041293

I'm definitely going for the '75-76 front clip because I prefer the recessed turn signals in the grill. And, I'm pretty sure the front clips of all Darts in the same year are the same, whether they are Sports or Swingers. I think ...

My chassis started out as an earlier '74 so it had provisions for standard bumper brackets and the corresponding conventional bumper. It also came with a smaller, formed reinforcement plate that fit between the brackets & bumper, but could be removed. Your '75 chassis was designed for the "shock absorber" bumper brackets and have different bolt-on points on the frame. (Unless the previous owner made provisions for the older bolt pattern to accept a '72 bumper.) Nore: The '73/'74 bumpers themselves have a different pattern than the '75/'76 and do not interchange between the "standard" and "shock absorber" brackets. '75/'76 bumpers have a HUGE and very heavy full width reinforcement between the bumper and "shock absorber" brackets.

You can tell the difference between the two by the number of carriage bolts on the front of the bumper. "Shock absorber" bracket bumpers have 6. The 2 extras are near the upper corners of the license plate area. Standard bracket bumpers have 4. Note pic of white Dart compared to mine.

I was surprised thatmy older bumper turned out well with the later grille because the '75/'76 filler not only extended out to fill the extended bumper but also up a little bit! There was a tiny bit of "wiggle room" with the standard bumper bracket mounting.

If you don't find the parts you need locally, let me know. I have a few, but I'm near Daytona Beach, FL.

I'm curious.....does your '75 still have the 3-piece full width bezel across the back, around the taillights? Or 4 individual taillight bezels?

View attachment 1716041212

View attachment 1716041210

Luckily, mine has the three piece filler on the rear. It is likely not well-plated, because the previous owner painted it flat back to match the Demon clone he turned this car into. That's okay, I think I'll strip off the paint, do a little sanding to smooth out the imperfections, and matte coat it again, then go back and "brush" the high points for an aluminum on black look.

This one has the full '72 front end, so they definitely did something to get the bumper to fit ... haven't taken her apart yet to see exactly what, though. I'll try to attach a picture.

IMG_20221224_141235114.jpg

I'm definitely going for the '75-76 front clip because I prefer the recessed turn signals in the grill. And, I'm pretty sure the front clips of all Darts in the same year are the same, whether they are Sports or Swingers. I think ...
That is correct, in the same year there is no difference between dart sport 29 and dart 23 models.

But there is a difference between 73/4 parts and 75/6.

Yes, they are the same, except for one little item which doesn't affect the interchangeability. I forgot the details, but some grille turn signal lenses are clear and some are amber.

Looks like a nice front clip. I think you should be able to do well selling it against the '75 parts.

Fiberglass hood?

Yea, all the rear bezels are bad about pitting. Good luck!

Last edited:
‘75 has clear turn signal lenses while ‘76 had amber/orange lenses.

Yes, they are the same, except for one little item which doesn't affect the interchangeability. I forgot the details, but some grille turn signal lenses are clear and some are amber.

Looks like a nice front clip. I think you should be able to do well selling it against the '75 parts.

Fiberglass hood?

Yea, all the rear bezels are bad about pitting. Good luck!

All parts are OEM steel, no rust. The bumper has some crazing, but most do.

It's all in very good shape, just not my ideal look. :)

@Woodsman341 if you're going to Mopars at The Rock car show at Rockingham Dragway in April, there will be a vendor there that has a pretty big Mopar salvage yard in Shelby, NC. His name is Steve Ivester, so you could talk to him to see if he may have the stuff you need if you haven't found it by then. Good luck in your search.

@Woodsman341 if you're going to Mopars at The Rock car show at Rockingham Dragway in April, there will be a vendor there that has a pretty big Mopar salvage yard in Shelby, NC. His name is Steve Ivester, so you could talk to him to see if he may have the stuff you need if you haven't found it by then. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the info. I don't suppose you have any contact information for him? That way maybe I can contact him in advance and set something up. That's only about two hours from me.

I'll look and see if I have a card somewhere, but I'm not sure if I do.

UPDATE! Have your pencil and paper ready right at the start of the video below. A pic of his business card comes up pretty quick. They show it again towards the end of the video also.

Last edited:
I'll look and see if I have a card somewhere, but I'm not sure if I do.

UPDATE! Have your pencil and paper ready right at the start of the video below. A pic of his business card comes up pretty quick. They show it again towards the end of the video also.

Excellent! Thanks!

-
Back