Full throttle kickdown adjustment vs shift points adjustment

-

k3522

Reaction score
I have finally got the shift points adjusted by shortening the upper rod at the carb but I have never had full throttle kickdown. My qustion is as I shorten or length the rod where it connects to the carb I am changing the travel at the transmission which is keeping the tranny lever from travelling the full way back which is keeping it from full throttle kickdown.

I don't get it. If I adjust one end I am changing the other end and visa versa?
If I change the lower rod to get full throttle won't this change the upper adjustment I just did?

There has to be a easy answer and I am just missing it.

Your right. Either rod you adjust will affect the other equally. I've ran into problems with getting the low speed shift timing right and keeping full throttle kickdown and found a easy solution. The problem is in the lever ratio. Take your kickdown lever off your trans and drill a new hole for the linkage right next to the original. By moving the point of connection in slightly you just changed the ratio of the lever. Now hook up your linkage and adjust it as before and you'll find by changing the ratio of the lever you can have normal low speed shifts and still have wide open throttle kickdown.

-
Back