Functional hood scoops

-

smlblk318

Reaction score
Should I be concerned about water getting in my scoops whether while transporting on trailer in the rain or getting caught in the rain while driving?

Are your scoops sealed to your air intake on your engine? Is there a drain tube on your intake for water to go through?

No they are not. Just have the two holes in the hood.

PXL_20220824_204146207.jpg

PXL_20210704_030143728.jpg

No that 4.125 round rubber gasket top lip is thicker for that reason ...to keep rain out

It looks like you have the proper rubber gaskets installed, the tall side should be "up" which prevents water from running into the holes. I have the hood scoops and the DMT gaskets installed, I drive my car in the rain all the time and have never had an issue with it.

Thanks fellas....gearing up to go to the Nationals in a few weeks and was worried about the weather which at this time is unknown.

Did anyone ever see adapters to seal the 70, 71 air cleaner to the 340 Dart or Demon twin scoop hood?

Those small scoops are easy. Years ago when I drag raced for more than fun I ran a six pack scoop hood and a sealed pan. I would shove foam from an old couch in the holes to stop the engine from ingesting water till I got home. Never thought about drilling a few holes in the pan.

At one point I was thinking of getting one of these air boxes and attaching some hose to the scoops on my 70 Swinger, then I realized I don't really care about the extra hp / cooler air so I scrapped the idea.

Models of Ram Air Box

The factory hood scoops being functional at all is a pretty big stretch on these cars, especially the 70/71 version. They're too close to the hood to have any kind of "ram air" effect, they're in the boundary layer for the air flow over the hood. Honestly they probably do more to let hot air out than they do to bring cold air in.

With a cold air intake set up you'd be better off running your ducts to the front behind the grille than to any of the factory hood scoops. The '72 scoop might be marginally better than the 70/71 because of its higher profile, but realistically it's still too low for any real air induction. The large flat grille on the other hand catches a ton of air, which is why these cars tend to get light in the front end at high speed.

Go to a craft store and get some dense foam for upholstery and cut some foam plugs for the scoops. You can even paint the outside black. That will help seal the foam and sorta hide it too.

Go to a craft store and get some dense foam for upholstery and cut some foam plugs for the scoops. You can even paint the outside black. That will help seal the foam and sorta hide it too.

Really not necessary. I’ve had the hood scoops on my car for quite some time and have driven it in absolute downpours, the hood scoops aren’t an issue. You’ll get more water splashing in from the bottom and through the grille than through the hood scoop holes.

They’re cars, not sugar cubes.

Really not necessary. I’ve had the hood scoops on my car for quite some time and have driven it in absolute downpours, the hood scoops aren’t an issue. You’ll get more water splashing in from the bottom and through the grille than through the hood scoop holes.

They’re cars, not sugar cubes.
Mine was sealed to the hood.

I also have the DMT grommets on my car and never have any issues.

However, if you're creative...

IMG_2987 (half size).jpg

twin scoops on my buddy's 440 '70 Coronet.

I ran the A12 style 6 pack scoop on my 70 Dart with a huge hole in the hood for years in all kinds of weather plus I ran a K&N flow top air filter. The only time I ever had any issues was in extreme cold, though that my have had more to do with the air gap intake manifold.

-
Back