Functioning snorkel hood scoop

-

340SCOTT

Reaction score
Were there functioning snorkel hood scoops on 340 dusters and if so how was it cut in the hood
Thanks
340 Scott

no....340 dusters never came with a scoop of any kind. the twisters are the only ones that had any kind of scoop at all. they were also not functional...snorkel scoops were only on dodges

If you want a functioning snorkel, the underside of the scoop has air dams that would show a location on the hood for the holes.

Thanks guys. First car was a 70 340 duster and come to think of it I dont remember seeing any dusters with scoops.Been out of the loop for 26 years raising kids and spending a fotune on their sports and know they are done so I am getting back into it. I bought a 72 340 hemi orange duster last year that is pretty sweet,runs strong and just trying to put finishing touches on it

Would it be best to put 3 3 inch holes or one big one? I seen one on ebey with the 3 inch holes, What is more common?
Thanks 340 Scott

I have a hood from a 73 Dart that had the snorkel on it, and the scoop itself. The air dams on the underside, and the hood, both are set up for two holes. I haven't measured the holes in the hood, but I'd swear they are more like five inches, and I'm pretty sure its a factory hood, not a DIY installation.

.....does anyone have any idea why they put holes in the hood of Demons etc., and didn't connect it to anything? I've wondered that forever......one of the great Mopar mysteries.

The 2 OEM holes under Demon and Dart Sport factory hood scoops are approx. 4" and came with raised grommets to help keep the water out.

As for them not being hooked up to anything.....somewhere I read that it was originally planned, but emissions regulations and/or budgets kept it from going any further. Don't know if this is fact, but seems likely.

Don't know if they were functional, but,
for the sake of discussion:

http://www.musclecardrive.com/images/specs_pics/1971_dusterad.jpg

...found this and it says "simulated".

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1970-1976-plymouth-duster9.htm

-
Back