funny noise, anything of concern?

-

7duster4

Reaction score
My car sits outside everynight at my school, and has been there for about 2 months. The weather was cold but now warming up. It fires right up every day with no problems and drives fine into the body shop. But while I let it idle and warm up there is a funny sound coming from what I think is the exhaust. Sounds almost like a ball in a paint can rattling around when you shake it. It does it off and on and picks up for a few seconds when I rev the engine. It has been doing this since it's been sitting but I never looked at it as a concern. So far no major problems. Almost sounds like it's right beneath me in the exhaust pipe. Anyone have any answers for this one? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

-Brian

My car sits outside everynight at my school, and has been there for about 2 months. The weather was cold but now warming up. It fires right up every day with no problems and drives fine into the body shop. But while I let it idle and warm up there is a funny sound coming from what I think is the exhaust. Sounds almost like a ball in a paint can rattling around when you shake it. It does it off and on and picks up for a few seconds when I rev the engine. It has been doing this since it's been sitting but I never looked at it as a concern. So far no major problems. Almost sounds like it's right beneath me in the exhaust pipe. Anyone have any answers for this one? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

-Brian

You don't still have the factory heat riser valve on the exhaust system do you? That's the butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe just down stream from the exhaust manifold with the coiled spring on the outside that loves to rattle.

Terry

That heat riser has been removed. They are 318 manifolds but not original to the car. That would make sense though. Next time if I think of it i'll pop the hood and see if I can pin-point the source. Thanks.

I had a noise similar to that on my daily driver (not a Mopar) & it turned out to be a cracked flex plate. Hope yours is something simpler.

The flex plate is what I would be looking at to. But you never know, somebody might have fired a marble up your exhaust pipe.

Jack

-
Back