Fuse Block Question

-

KGiles

Reaction score
I am thinking of changing out the old under dash fuse block for a new style fuse block. One of the fuse clips was burned and melted when I got my 74 Duster. How much trouble and how complicated would this be?

It's not a hard job, just time consuming. I've done this on several of my own vehicles, mostly Auxiliary boxes for additional components. But on my '71 Demon project i'm installing the Fuse & Relay Boxes from a newer Caravan.

If you know how to solder and have the necessary tools for crimping and supplies (wire ends/terminals, heat shrink tubing, etc) It's an easy job.

I personally had the same issue with my Duster when it was running and I ended up ripping out all of the old wiring and purchased a painless wiring kit. I am still in the restoration process so I cant tell you how it is working out yet, but it has all updated wiring, fuse blocks, relays, etc and every wire is marked to where it goes. It is also expandable to add electric fans, fuel pump or whatever you desire later on down the road. I paid $350 at Jegs for the kit and got a $100 rebate back. Cant go wrong there! Hope this helps.

Ken

Thanks guys. The wiring looks pretty bad overall. It is a mess under the hood. I may go the new painless harness route. I've just never done a lot of vehicle wiring. Just how complicated would it be for a newbie?

Thanks guys. The wiring looks pretty bad overall. It is a mess under the hood. I may go the new painless harness route. I've just never done a lot of vehicle wiring. Just how complicated would it be for a newbie?

It is a time consuming job, but not hard. The instructions are actually pretty PAINLESS even for someone who is not electrical savi. I have been studying mine lately because I am about to install my kit once I am finished painting the car. Take your time and it will come out nice. If you get in a bind, ask us for help and you will get through it.

I'm looking on the Jegs site and I don't see a wiring kit for a 74 Duster. Do I need to call and talk to someone?

-
Back