G-bodies need some lovin too!

-

OneOfMany

Reaction score
Well, I searched everywhere, but I can't find a FGBO site, so I am gonna post on this site instead.

I made a deal with my wife a couple of weeks ago. I quit smoking, and as an incentive/reward, I get to get my little driver back on the road after 10 years of storage.

The car is a 1986 Laser XT that I bought in 1990 in Vancouver, BC. I was in need of a driver at the time, and I looked at countless models in search of the model that I wanted, and after five months, the one I was searching for showed up for sale. It's a 2.2l turbo I, 5-spd with T-tops and Mark Cross leather interior, and painted Flash Red. My plans are to NOT upgrade or modify it, instead to return it to as new condition, and enjoy driving it.

As purchased, the car was rust-free, however the DS fender had been replaced after a small accident from the previous owner. The body shop elected to repaint the entire side of the car, and although presentable, the job was certainly not up to my standards. I put about 80,000km on her, including the drive back to Winnipeg when I moved back in 1993. During that time, the replaced fender rear lip bolt snapped off, which I found out when I opened the door and crunched the fender :(. I found a mint fender (not easy here in the rust belt) at a local pick-a-part, otherwise all the sheet metal is perfect.

I had it on the road for a couple of months the summer I returned home, then sheared the inner CV joint under full boost when I lost traction momentarily.

After looking her over, I knew that I really wanted to get the paint redone, replace the fender, and get her back to original condition. I began stripping off the body panels, and like all good projects, my original intent of a quick spray and cleanup was not going to cut it. The more I looked, the more I realized that I had to do it right.

Well, life can be busy, and with a new bride, a new daughter, and a home restoration project, my projects had to be put aside for a while. Ten years to be exact.

Well, with the go-ahead, I am getting her in for paint. At the same time, I'm getting the motor freshened up, so hopefully she'll be good for another 150k.

Now of course, in my anal demand for perfection, I'm treating her to a full blown engine compartment detailing, k-member and suspension rebuild and detailing.

Spent the last couple of weekends pulling the engine/transmission, axles, and probably 16 hours in cleaning and refurbishing the wiring and vacuum harnesses. This thing makes my A-bodies look primitive by comparison.

My goal is to have this thing on the road sometime this summer, so I can at least make a couple of Sunday cruises.

Grant

looking forward to the pics and rebuild.

congrats on the quitting / reward situation, keep rollin'.

FGBO may not exist but you can get lots of info at turbododge.com.

that's a nice combo and should be a fun ride!

Hey Grant,

I have an 86 XT sitting in my driveway, I bought it new in 86 & have not driven it in winter. It has 103000km. Maybe we can go for a run together. I think there might be 1 more in Winnipeg.

Way to go on the quitting Grant!!! Well she looked pretty good in the garage and I can't wait to see her out cruisin'!!

Whats a g-body...

One of these:

Shelby-Z_348.JPG

ASHELBY04.jpg

The XT package included an exclusive front valence, special side skirts, Turbo 2.2, T-tops, special 15 x 7 aluminium wheels, 225-50-15 Goodyear Gatorback tires, power windows, power mirrors & XHD suspension.
Initially they only came in Flash Red.

Got mine up to 135MPH on I29 in ND.

This is an XT (not mine)
laser10.jpg

laser10.jpg

Thanks for the kind words - even you stroked340 lol.. don't worry, I have some 340s and 440s so I can play with you "big" boys.

Yeah Vic, that is a pic of mine exactly. Maybe not today though :)

This is how I put it away 10 years ago. Stripped down, and the "extra thick" repaint thinned out a bit..

IMG_0217 (2).jpg

Engine bay

IMG_0130 (2).jpg

Wiring and vacuum looms required some learning so I know what it's for :) Thank goodness for digital cameras.

IMG_0201 (2).jpg

IMG_0339 (2).jpg

Engine and trans finally free

IMG_0318 (2).jpg

And out!

IMG_0335 (2).jpg

All T-top cars were originally hartop versions that were modified by Cars & Concepts. They cut the top half off a regular door, made a few modifications and brackets, installed a different mirror assembly, and applied the trim.

IMG_0286 (2).jpg

Engine bay ready for detailing

IMG_0340 (2).jpg

Grant

IMG_0217 (2).jpg

IMG_0130 (2).jpg

IMG_0339 (2).jpg

IMG_0201 (2).jpg

IMG_0286 (2).jpg

IMG_0318 (2).jpg

IMG_0335 (2).jpg

IMG_0340 (2).jpg

The XT package included an exclusive front valence, special side skirts, Turbo 2.2, T-tops, special 15 x 7 aluminium wheels, 225-50-15 Goodyear Gatorback tires, power windows, power mirrors & XHD suspension.

This is an XT (not mine)
View attachment 145364

They never put a 7 in wide rim on a Turbo'd mopar, the widest was a 6.5 (crab) wheel that was on the daytona CS' ie 89 daytona AGS CS, I have the exact car but no wheels.
The wheels on the car you posted are refered to as 'wagon' wheels
I would suggest www.turbo-mopar.com for info, i made a restoration thread over there, didnt want to put it on here and piss anyone off :p

Also www.boostedmopar.com is a good site but more of a 'rated R' site

OK, with all of the non-Mopar, and non-Abody vehicle posts lately, I feel a little safer adding to this thread. Unfortunately I am still waiting to work on my A-bodies, so this will have to do for now.

I cant take credit for doing the work, but I'm not really a Turbo Dodge guy, and I'm not interested in "restoring" it. I just like this particular one, and want to drive it again. I know driving it will re-energize me to get my butt in gear and build walls and a roof on my two year-old poured "shop pad", so I can get going on my A-body projects. And having it will allow me to not feel rushed to get them driving, and frustrated that they are not.

Last winter I hauled the engine/trans down to our 2.2 guru here, and although he had grandiose plans for it, I had to keep telling myself no, it is a DRIVER, and went for more of a warmed-over stock rebuild with a roller cam, new turbo, and full refresh of trans and new flywheel/clutch. He is installing it, and will perform the break-in and setup,

I had the underside cleaned up and chassis blacked, and all new brakes, bearings, springs/shocks, installed, and all bushings replaced. Tank was cleaned and new sender unit put in.

My engine guy is the go-to guy on these turbo dodges, and he always has a bunch being done,so I was real happy when he was able to take it in for the body/paint/assembly this week. The shell is rust-free, which is something we are not used to here, so two minor dings are all it needs attended to. He will strip, epoxy, then high-build and block it, and plans on giving at least a month to settle before the final primer/block, bc/cc paint and final detailing.

I have managed to redo and detail the wiring harness, and clean/detail the myriad underhood components and bolts and fasteners, with the intention of reassembling them myself, but the more I think about it, I probably will let him do the assembly already. He knows these cars in his sleep, me, I would be printing off all the disassembly pics to figure out how it all went :)

DRIVER DRIVER

So when it is done, it will be like I was buying it new - again.

Grant

Here she is seeing the sun for the first time in about 10 years. Was definitely nice to roll it out of the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_1029 (800x600).jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1028 (800x600).jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1026 (800x600).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1019 (800x600).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1014 (800x600).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1012 (800x600).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1008 (800x600).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1004 (800x600).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1001 (800x600).jpg
    129 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0994 (800x600).jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 155
And of course, like any good father.. I had to follow it once she loaded up and on her way to school.

Attachments

• IMG_1045 (800x600).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1043 (800x600).jpg
    119 KB · Views: 151
After the engine bay was cleaned up and painted, mechanicals were done, and underside cleaned up for it's summer driving duties. Then it came back home for another nine months while in search of someone willing to take on the body/paint.

Attachments

• IMG_1206 (600x800).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1200 (800x600).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1198 (800x600).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1197 (800x600).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1196 (800x600).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1194 (800x600).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1193 (800x600).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 169
Engine and drivetrain ready for install. Nothing much special, just a stock-type upgrade and a roller cam over the stock follower tappets. I resisted the urge to go with the blow through Turbo II stuff, and instead bought some needed A-body parts for later :).

Attachments

• P1030423 (800x534).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 152
  • P1030426 (800x534).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 145

This is an XT (not mine)
View attachment 145364

I just want to make a couple of corrections to this.

The XT was released first as an 85 1/2 and was available with or without T-tops. The T-tops were first available on the XT's only in 85. Second they came in Flash Red and Silver only.

The Gatorback tires weren't available until 86.

85 had standard digital dash without turbo boost gauge.

86 the "standard" analog and digital gauges were available.

Mine was built May 23rd and I drove it off the showroom June 6th. The dealer placed orderd for the 86's the next week after I picked mine up.

-
Back