G3 Hemi A-body Swap questions.

-

flyboy01

Its almost done!
Reaction score
I know that there are a few people here what have, or are currently doing a G3 Hemi swap, I have some specific questions for you guys. I may have found a good deal on a low milage 5.7L Hemi with all the accessories, trans, wiring, computers from a Ram. I know that people with FI Hemis are getting near 500HP with little in the way of mods. I am thinking of scrapping my 383 project and going with the Hemi. What I would like to do is run it with a carb. I have a SB V-8 crossmember and a SB 727 trans right now, but I have a few questions.

1. What can I run for an ignition system? I heard Fast or MSD is coming out with one, but no news yet.

2. How did you guys mount the engine? I was planning on buying the TTI mounts, since I will eventually go with their headers.

3. What about headers & manifolds? I heard that the truck manifolds don't work in A-bodies, and I am going do the intial swap with just stock components, I heard that Cherokee Hemi manifolds will swap. WHat about the SRT8 headers, will they work on a 5.7?

4. What about trans? If I keep the 727, I heard I need a new flexplate and torque converter. What about the Stock electronic Hemi trans? Has anyone attempted to swap one of these in? I am not too concerned with cutting the trans tunnel if I have to.

5. What about the alternator? Obviously, the stock regulator wont work with the late model alternator, and if I eliminate the computer, then the Hemi alternator does not have a regulator, what have you guys done?

6. Oil pan? Will the truck or car oil pan work, or do I need a $450 oil pan.

7. Last option is keeping it fuel injected, what about the computer freaking out with all those missing sensor inputs, like wheel speed, transmission, etc?

If there are any other issues, let me know.

Flyboy....I'm doing a #rd Gen Hemi in my Dart as we speak. It will be carb. bored block and hand ported heads. I went with the TTi motor mounts, and headers. Weldtech $400 oil pan, and block off plate. I have a company doin most of the install out of houston. Franks racing. he's a member on this site as well. momsr/t is his screen name. as far as the ingnition info and everything else he will be able to answer most of the questions.

Jason

1. What can I run for an ignition system? I heard Fast or MSD is coming out with one, but no news yet. We are working with MSD actually and have had some input into this new system...........it was suppose to release Nov 2007 but I'm talking to Todd who is in charge of the project and we've already pointed out a couple of things that need to be changed. I hope they continue to listen to us and push this back 2 more months and bring out a BETTER product then what they had originally designed.

2. How did you guys mount the engine? I was planning on buying the TTI mounts, since I will eventually go with their headers. As of now thats what we are using.

3. What about headers & manifolds? I heard that the truck manifolds don't work in A-bodies, and I am going do the intial swap with just stock components, I heard that Cherokee Hemi manifolds will swap. WHat about the SRT8 headers, will they work on a 5.7?We are using TTI headers...........we have SRT8 LX headers and we can fit them in to check...........issue is then, is that you'll have to fab alot of pipe to connect to it............I don't see it much of a "savings" but do see it as a possible loss in power.

4. What about trans? If I keep the 727, I heard I need a new flexplate and torque converter. What about the Stock electronic Hemi trans? Has anyone attempted to swap one of these in? I am not too concerned with cutting the trans tunnel if I have to. We are using a 727............you don't need a new fly wheel but if you are using the newer style then just cut the ring off the new one............if you have the older style just use it. You'll also need the mini-starter.

Verter use is the same as always............just a plain ole 727 verter.

Using the new German tranny is a huge mistake in my book unless you want a luxo-Dart..............these were NOT made for performance and are expensive and offer little to no aftermarket.

5. What about the alternator? Obviously, the stock regulator wont work with the late model alternator, and if I eliminate the computer, then the Hemi alternator does not have a regulator, what have you guys done? You can use the old style alt. or you can get a new style........

The old style will mean nothing changes......

The new style will mean we'll have to "rig" it in some way.........its already been done and we have a guy here in Houston that knows the process...

6. Oil pan? Will the truck or car oil pan work, or do I need a $450 oil pan. Truck will work but we are using a fabbed oil pan with some improved characteristics.

7. Last option is keeping it fuel injected, what about the computer freaking out with all those missing sensor inputs, like wheel speed, transmission, etc? OH YEAH! This damn computer freaks out if you fart in the car........the stock computer is so freek'in limited and what is killing us in the trucks and in the cars................getting away from the stock computer will allow you to do so many things and REALLY injoy this motor!

If there are any other issues, let me know.
We'll be doing this starting in December..............we'd love to have you down if you want to come and see first hand................

As you know, we're also building a race motor as well with a carb running alky using a sheet-metal intake...........but really the process is the same.

Give USCG a ring or get with me and we'll show you everything we know and how we're doing it.

Flyboy....I'm doing a #rd Gen Hemi in my Dart as we speak. It will be carb. bored block and hand ported heads. I went with the TTi motor mounts, and headers. Weldtech $400 oil pan, and block off plate. I have a company doin most of the install out of houston. Franks racing. he's a member on this site as well. momsr/t is his screen name. as far as the ingnition info and everything else he will be able to answer most of the questions.

Jason

Last we talked, I was doing the 383, but I found a deal on a Hemi I just can't pass up on. And I always wanted a Hemi Dart, I have a Hemi scoop, so I am going to take the plunge as long as I can scrape up the cash before the guy sells the engine.

We'll be doing this starting in December..............we'd love to have you down if you want to come and see first hand................

As you know, we're also building a race motor as well with a carb running alky using a sheet-metal intake...........but really the process is the same.

Give USCG a ring or get with me and we'll show you everything we know and how we're doing it.

That would be cool, I would like to see it in person. What about the LS1 system for a carbed engine? I heard there is a way to adapt it? Can you do it?

Actually I found out that its a simple as just hooking the two field wires from the alt to the stock regulator. Not as hard as I thought.

MomsR/T, HAVE YOU SEEN THESE?

4510813 6.1L/392 Hemi Race Intake Manifold —
Single Plane, High Rise, Large Plenum, Aluminum

5153634 6.1L/392 Hemi Crate Engine Race Intake Manifold —
Single Plane, High Rise, Small Plenum, Aluminum

I am more than half way done with my 68 Hemi SRT8 Dart. I am using a Keisler 4 speed automatic and FAST fuel injection/ignition system, TTi headers, Alterkation front end, Dana back end etc. I have lots of pics and suggestions if you like.

John

Hdart.jpg

After banging my head against the wall for a while, I am talking myself back into a B engine. While it would be cool to do the Hemi, right now, there is no practical way to run a carb other than the Mopar $4000 system. I know there are promises for things coming out, but I have been around long enough to know that promises don't come true always. SO for now, I am going to just throw in a 383 and just HAVE to settle for big block power and torque.

-
Back