Gallbladder removed

-

rrvolare

19Swinger69
Reaction score
Anybody have theres removed ??? How long did it take for you to feel 100% back to normal ??? What issues did you have during the recovery ? bloating ? upset stomach alot ? what helped ?
Thanks

I had mine removed laparoscopy, was feeling fine in about a week and was back to work. I stayed with non-spicy/non-greasy food and tried it a little at a time but nothing ever bothered me. A neighbor had hers out and can't eat anything unless it is pretty bland. I guess the answer is it varies from person to person.

my mom had hers out 6 months ago she suffered for years it only took a week and she was going strong . she now can eat anything and her quality of life improved 100 times .

bloated alot .... stomach pain ... Gastro doc put me on an antacid med for stomach discomfort ... Cannot find anything wrong ...NUMEROUS tests ... My family doct thinks that my system has not yet adjusted to not having a GB... said it could take upto a year ....
Now they are sending me for an MRI of abdomen to check for stones caught in pancreas ducts .. but he highly doubts it ???

I can eat ANYTHING and do NOT have to RUSH to bathroom by any means ... MOSTLY stomach discomfort ... BUT if i eat HIGH fiber or something cooked in oil it seems to start discomfort .

I had mine removed a couple months ago. I felt like I was going to throw up, like I ate something that didn't agree with me. Indigestion and weak maybe a heat attack. A couple hours went by then I did throw up. She took me to the emergency room.
They checked me for possible heart issue and then did a sonogram on my gallbladder. Test showed gallbladder was full of stones, one was said to be 2.5 cm (size of a quarter).
The next morning surgery, laparoscopy. I was down and out hard for a couple weeks, probably a month before I felt somewhat normal again. I ate light and lean low to no fat food for a week or two to be safe, but I to didn't have any adverse effects from fatty foods like some do. Stomach cramps a few days to a week afterwards while expelling the medical gas from the surgery. Had the runs bad for a couple weeks. My appetite is still not what it was and have to force myself to eat sometimes. I am also diabetic so I dont know if that had an effect on healing also.

THANKS for all the input guys... I Know i can count on members for technical and medical input ! I have lost a total of 20-25 pounds and CANNOT put weight on !!!! I keep nibbling so i won't loose more weight .. i think i am overeating and this could be causing some of the issues .... AGAIN Thanks !

I need to get mine out but am broke!It's full of stones ...

Don't wait too long, if one of those stones get stuck in the bile duct you can get pancreatitis. That's what put my daughter in to the hospital for a few days. When they got it under control they removed her gall bladder. She was good to go in less then a month.

Don't wait too long, if one of those stones get stuck in the bile duct you can get pancreatitis. That's what put my daughter in to the hospital for a few days. When they got it under control they removed her gall bladder. She was good to go in less then a month.

I guess I'll sell my car

Wife had hers taken out.....surgeon goofed and left some gauze in her....a former co-worker had his taken out and claimed not having it made him :fart: more often :dontknow:

It's helpful to know a little background: The gallbladder collects bile, a fluid that is produced by the liver, and releases it when you eat to aid the breakdown and absorption of fat. Between meals, bile collects in the gallbladder and is concentrated. When the gallbladder is removed, bile is less concentrated and it drains continuously into the intestine. This affects digestion of fat and fat-soluble vitamins. How much of a problem it is varies from person to person. With time, the body often adjusts and becomes better at digesting fatty foods.

The amount of fat eaten at one time also factors into the equation. Smaller amounts of fat are easier to digest. On the other hand, large amounts can remain undigested and cause gas, bloating and diarrhea.

General advice for avoiding problems after you've had your gallbladder removed:

. Eat smaller, more frequent meals. This may ensure a better mix with available bile. Include small amounts of lean protein, such as poultry, fish and nonfat dairy, at every meal, along with vegetables, fruit and whole grains.
. Go easy on fat. Avoid high-fat foods, fried and greasy foods, and fatty sauces and gravies. Instead, choose nonfat or low-fat foods. Read labels and look for foods with 3 grams of fat or less a serving.
. Gradually increase the fiber in your diet. This can help normalize bowel movements by reducing incidents of diarrhea or constipation. However, it can also make gas and cramping worse. The best approach is to slowly increase the amount of fiber in your diet over a period of weeks.

Be aware that after gallbladder surgery some people find that the following are difficult to digest: caffeinated beverages and dairy products.

I had mine out the "old way" years ago....some food is hard to digest and sometimes (and the same for my sister) you occasionally get phantom pains..I am much happier with it gone :)

Robbie2734... what symptoms did your daughter have with pancreatitas

She had a lot of pain, nausea and weakness. It was almost like a heart attack. She's a little bit young for that. The bile duct from the gall bladder passes through the pancreas and if you get a stone lodged it will irritate the pancreas. The Drs had to wait till the pancreas healed before they would operate. It's not the worst operation and you heal quickly. It takes about a month to get over the operation and maybe 6 months to be able to eat anything you want.

Good advice Grassy, my best advice is to always research and educate yourself about these things, especially medical issues. A lot of people have no idea what a gallbladder is or does. I was told by a Dr I needed to have mine removed immediately due to abdomen pains after eating. I did my research, and found that a high protein/high fat/low carb diet I was on was causing my issues with the pain due to bile release after eating these foods. I did a cleanse, changed my diet and never had another issue. Not saying this is always the case because sometimes it does need to be removed but at least learn about it and don't be afraid of getting a second or third opinion.

-
Back