Game changers in your lifetime that you could not do with out- tools and gizmos

-

SLOPAR72

Reaction score
Got the call early AM to fix a leak under a house. As I was making quick work of it with my Shark-bites I got to thinking about what I have seen in my lifetime that changed how I do things.... I can name 2 right off the Bat and am curious to see what pops up....

Stay strong and safe people,
JW

bite.jpg

wrench.jpg

Cordless oscillating tool is one. In fact, cordless Sawzall, skillsaw, router drywall gun, impact, angle grinders and even a SDS +. Makes things move faster, no bs cords

My Makita 18V battery tools have saved me a lot of time and trouble lately.

The Rivet gun alone saved me about 4 days on my garden shed, and probably prevented me getting early onset arthritis. :D

Without question, the internet.
The ability to access information, purchase products from around the world, communication. ....single handedly the biggest game changer of my lifetime.

Jeff

The ability to access information, purchase products from around the world, communication. ....single handedly the biggest game changer of my lifetime.

Jeff

All reply's are good but you may have the winner. I use it everyday and would be lost without it. I would also add GPS.... I have been told by many that I am pretty good at a couple of things in life lol but direction ain't one of them. A struggled my whole life with it. GPS fixed that...

JW

Wood frame construction jobsites have changed a LOT in the past 10 years. I joined up in 1986. Back then, most guys had their own circular saw, most were "Skil" brand. Hardly anyone had anything else except hand tools.
By the late 90s, guys up here started buying air compressors and nail guns. A few had electric Sawzalls.
From 2010 or so, the switch to cordless stuff has been impossible to ignore. Circular saws, Reciprocating saws,(Sawzalls) drills, impact drills, planers, roto hammer drills, Multi-tools, even some nail guns.
Mechanics.....you hardly see them using air ratchets anymore.

Last edited:
Wood frame construction jobsites have changed a LOT in the past 10 years. I joined up in 1986. Back then, most guys had their own circular saw, most were "Skil" brand. Hardly anyone had anything else except hand tools.
By the late 90s, guys up here started buying air compressors and nail guns. A few had electric Sawzalls.
From 2010 or so, the switch to cordless stuff has been impossible to ignore. Circular saws, drills, impact drills, planers, roto hammer drills, Multi-tools, even some nail guns.
Mechanics.....you hardly see them using air ratchets anymore.
My latest purchase.......gasless framing gun...

upload_2021-9-13_10-36-7.jpeg

Paslode gets to be a PITA with having to get it serviced, and the amount I use, the gas usually is out of date before I need to use it again. This HiKoki (Hitachi rebrand) is awesome and most builders are switching to them over here now. Don't need a huge battery, as this one will last all day long.

That is amazing.
I'll bet for nailing off a roof or exterior plywood, (5000 or more nails) the battery may need to be swapped out a few times but for most applications, you're right.

Plus 1 on the cordless tools. My wife bought me a battery powered set for Christmas and im loving it. It has a drill, an impact, and Sawzall it so nice not having to dig out a drop cord and air compressor every time I work. I haven't used my corded drill or Sawzall since I got them. I still have to get my pneumatic impact out for the large jobs. My next investment is a battery powered sander.

1/4 inch socket set.. When we were young I was the radio/speaker type guy. Now, I'm the last guy you would chose out of most my friends because............. I was 6'1" 225 lbs. at that time :eek:. I did more 4 tracks, 8 tracks, FM converters, 6x9 speakers and the like than most people. Wiring by the kilometer and reverb boxes for the old guys my brothers knew. Still love my 1/4 box, though I use it a lot less these days.

812yDhzz4eL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Laser levels.
They are great for establishing stud layout or checking for plumb in a tall wall where a plumb bob is impractical.

My latest purchase.......gasless framing gun...

View attachment 1715789789

Paslode gets to be a PITA with having to get it serviced, and the amount I use, the gas usually is out of date before I need to use it again. This HiKoki (Hitachi rebrand) is awesome and most builders are switching to them over here now. Don't need a huge battery, as this one will last all day long.
I thought about posting Paslode, but they Are finicky... I've had issues in the past with them

Laser levels.
They are great for establishing stud layout or checking for plumb in a tall wall where a plumb bob is impractical.
Yep, I have one w/ a tripod too. You can hang em from a magnetic bracket. For metal frame, and mine has a nail slot fer wood too for soffit, headers, shoot a control line for tile. And yes. Lots a framing uses.

Paslode pneumatic guns were the standard for awhile, then Hitachi came along and wiped them out. Nobody used a Paslode on the jobs around here after that.
In the early days of the switch away from corded electric stuff, DeWalt cordless tools were popular. Their battery life was poor though.

That is amazing.
I'll bet for nailing off a roof or exterior plywood, (5000 or more nails) the battery may need to be swapped out a few times but for most applications, you're right.
Nailing a roof deck? Air, and a coil nailer, if you're a glutton for pain. I use a stick nailer now. Lighter. The cordless ones are to slow... but, say for a roof repair? Yeah Man!

Got the call early AM to fix a leak under a house. As I was making quick work of it with my Shark-bites I got to thinking about what I have seen in my lifetime that changed how I do things.... I can name 2 right off the Bat and am curious to see what pops up....

Stay strong and safe people,
JW

View attachment 1715789724

View attachment 1715789725
Both of those are Major Headache removers.

I
Paslode pneumatic guns were the standard for awhile, then Hitachi came along and wiped them out. Nobody used a Paslode on the jobs around here after that.
In the early days of the switch away from corded electric stuff, DeWalt cordless tools were popular. Their battery life was poor though.
Haven't tried the Hitachi yet. They have been re-labeled Metabo here.

Jeff
Its a good thing. Tlli they give people free cell phones filled with propaganda, and Big Tech controls the narrative

I'm running the piss outta my 20v stuff. But I have 8 batteries for 12 tools. Cain't use em all at once! Wish I could!

Are pneumatic porter cable framing nailers shitty?
No. I have had a few. My main was a Paslode air coil nailer. I was driving 600 sticks of furring into block daily for months. Now multiply that by 7 or 8 nails. I woke up with my wrist killing me in the night a few times. That thing lasted 10 years Hd had a Porter stick for less than 200. Lube it and use it. That's what I replaced my coil nailer with. That being said w/ the continued influx of cheap foreign labor, I ain't framing production ( all day / week after week) anymore. Its production on a smaller scale

Last edited:
-
Back