Garage - Built a new air delivery system

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the air system I designed and built in the last week or so. 3/4" down to 1/2" copper pipe at the air dryer and regulator. I'll be attaching a multi outlet fixture soon. Air compressor is a 60 gallon 230v. No leaks. Pitched downstream across ceiling and wall so water gets moved along.

IMG_4895.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

IMG_4923.JPG

Last edited:
Is the long run across the ceiling pitched? What can happen moisture can pool, and then a "hard run" like a big impact or grinder can pickup water in those low spots and carry it along. Looks like your "wall" stuff is all pitched that is good.

Is the long run across the ceiling pitched? What can happen moisture can pool, and then a "hard run" like a big impact or grinder can pickup water in those low spots and carry it along. Looks like your "wall" stuff is all pitched that is good.

Yep.. it's also pitched across the ceiling about an inch or a little more. Thanks though!

I would add another drier right where the compressor line hooks into the copper.

Immediately after the tank is where I hooked up "curly" hose and a drier right after curly hose.
Temp differences create moisture and thats where the biggest difference is.
Works good.
Yours looks good as well! Nice work
What hp is compressor?

And I would move the compressor outside, so I would not have to listen to the noise.

Looks good man! Those vertical runs with the valves at the bottom will do WONDERS at removing moisture. I fought moisture for years till I built a similar setup with black iron pipe with 3 vertical runs. ZERO moisture now. Simple and effective.

That connection from the compressor to the copper line is a restriction... can't get 20 cfm thru a 10 cfm hose. All else looks good...

That connection from the compressor to the copper line is a restriction... can't get 20 cfm thru a 10 cfm hose. All else looks good...
-------------------------------------was thinking the same thing!

Something i would like to point out, it was done correctly from what i see in the photos. The airline leaving the compressor goes uphill, water that accumulates right out of the compressor will drain back into pressure tank. I had a water/mist problem and after i moved air line to go uphill after compressor it reduced it dramatically.like the copper work.

Airlines should go at a slight downhill with moisture drops at every hose fitting with a drain at the lowest point.

This may seem like a dumb question. I have a 5 HP 80 Gal two stage compressor in my garage. I used all threaded steel lines from Lowes (properly pitched). It works great. I thought I read somewhere that it was not safe to use copper for compressed air lines. Obviously I am either wrong or misunderstood what I read.

seems like somewhere I read iron pipe works better than PVC.. I have never considered copper because of cost. I expet a compressor big enough to really do body work would cost $2500-3000 maybe more..

Copper would be good to around 350 psi working pressure, thats 3/4". Smaller pipe is higher psi.

Something i would like to point out, it was done correctly from what i see in the photos. The airline leaving the compressor goes uphill, water that accumulates right out of the compressor will drain back into pressure tank. I had a water/mist problem and after i moved air line to go uphill after compressor it reduced it dramatically.like the copper work.
Yep... that first 'horizontal' stretch actually comes downhill quite a bit toward the compressor. After the first bend, it goes straight up to the highpoint before the turn along the ceiling, then downhill about 3" along the ceiling, etc.. so far all is going great. Won't be able to really tell until i do some media blasting, painting, etc.. in the future. Granted... i know this is a bare minimum setup for such things.

Thats where i discovered the error in my setup,water when using blast cabinet. It made a big difference.small change yielded big results. I was using a dessicant air dryer, never again.
Used a lot of air today, no issue.

-
Back