Garage heater affect painting?

-

gzig5

Reaction score
Will using a propane, Natural Gas, or Kerosene heater in the garage affect the quality of painting results? I wonder about potential added moisture in the air. It's getting below 50 now and I have some frame stuff to prime and paint as well as needing to prime as I do bodywork over the winter. I have a small electric heater which gets me to about 50 degrees but will have to use additional heater to get it warmer where the paint/primer will cure. I won't be doing any finish painting but will want to have solid results so I don't have to redo anything before final.

What is you ambient humidity where you are in the winter?

Use a fast temp reducer.I used a gas topedo heater before paint then shutdown ,sprayed then waited for air to clear before turning back on. Wasn't easy but it worked, (Danger is making sure the vapors are gone) Also more vapors are introduced while flashing.

Personally I would not use any open flame heating device in a garage.

There are two things that could be a big problem there for you - fumes and CO build up if not adequately ventilated - and propane creates water - which is not very conducive to a good paint job.

Personally I would not use any open flame heating device in a garage.
Not my first choice either but I'm severely space limited. It's pretty dry around here in the winter considering it is usually below freezing from Dec to March, but I'd have to look up average humidity.
There are two things that could be a big problem there for you - fumes and CO build up if not adequately ventilated - and propane creates water - which is not very conducive to a good paint job.
The water/humidity was my concern and the reason I asked. I might be able to squeeze in a vented NG heater like you can get a the farm store, but not in the near term.
I used a gas topedo heater before paint then shutdown ,sprayed then waited for air to clear before turning back on. Wasn't easy but it worked
This was the process I was thinking of. I guess I'll break out the weather station and see how much humidity it generates and go from there. In years past doing general work, I crack the garage door 2" to vent while the burner is on and I have a portable CO meter in the work area.

Temperature and humidity have an inverse relationship.

High RH and low temperature becomes lower RH at a higher temperature

Here is Colorado we have to add moisture to our house ac systems to keep the RH at about 30%

Now if you are exhosting the products of combustion into you garage...

All bets are off.

I forgot to mention, some coatings are moisture cured, meaning if the RH is too low it will take forever to cure.

My buddy Matt uses a kerosene bullet heater to heat his booth up. Once up to temp, he turns it off and sprays. Works good.

-
Back