Garage is Finally Done!!

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Just about everthing has it's place, I know where everything is and it's setup just how I want. I haven't built my metal working bench yet but that's going to have to wait. No one in the Denver area would rent a plasma cutter for a reasonable price. One company would for 175$ and a 700$ deposit. For that price I'll save up. I did find a cutting torch, three welding tips, a striker and googles plus a set of regulators and 110' of hose for 50 bucks on craigslist. All I have to do is get the tanks delivered and get the right size cutting tip. :) The kerf will need more grinding than I had planned, but it will do.

The present benches I built with doubled up 2X4's and tops are 3/4" plywood with 3/4" norboard tops that slathered on three coats of "Marine Spar" Polyurethane. All benches are assembled with 3/8" bolts and #8 gold deck screws of varying lengths. All shelves were built 2x4's and 3/4" pine board.

I hope this gives those who need it some ideas. All I need is some quality wheel dollies to sling my Duster around the garage. 8)

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0174_1.jpg

IMG_0175_1.jpg

IMG_0176_1.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

Looking good Joe
Did you catch a buzz from the Marine spar on the workbench? Maybe if I get that Duster it can come keep yours company lol

Bruce

Yeah brother, that stuff is scary. I had to walk outside numerous times to clear my head. I hope I didn't pop too many brain cells, lol! I does seem very fuel resistant though.

I figure I can get both the truck and the duster in here and have plenty of room to work. I hate just seeing it there.... taunting me..... to get the dam box of garbage bags off it, lol. I've got a pretty clear vision of what it's going to be though. It's solid. Very, very little rust. I love the southwest!

Wow...Wow....:toothy1:

Great job ramcharger. Now it's time to mess it up....LOL

Looks like Maxi and Merlin are finding their spots while you're busy :toothy7:

Nice .... Is that "Love Seat " a Ramcharger seat ?????

Yep, it's the original backseat complete with ashtrays. I built a frame for it since I use the RC for hauling crap a lot. My buddies call it the "Redneck Recliner" lol. I'm thinking about putting a black and flame cover on it to match the cabinet.

nice setup!
Well organized and clean!

Enjoy

Thank you!

Speaking of those wheel dollies...try to find something better than the ones they sell at Harbor Freight. I have them and they work, but I think there have to be some with better wheels out there, that would roll easier.
Just FYI. The garage looks good, but beware, nature hates a vacuum, stuff will find it's way in there!
You could probably just put metal tops on the workbenches you have for now, unless you have new construction in mind soon. looks like a good shop, I'm jealous.
Alan627b

Wow...Wow....:toothy1:

Great job ramcharger. Now it's time to mess it up....LOL

Looks like Maxi and Merlin are finding their spots while you're busy :toothy7:

Exactly! I know it won't stay like this for long, but I always take Sunday morning to sweep up and put stuff away. Angels don't like clutter. :) Plus I hate tripping over ****. Must be a throwback to when I was a shop manager back in the day.

Both can't fit on the RC seat though. Why O Why do like big dogs? They eat me out of house and home and take up all my furniture. :angry7: I need to win the lotto.

Congrats ramcharger

Nothing wrong with those wood work benches. They look great!

If you buy dollies to move the Duster around...get some good ones.

I bought some from Harbor Freight. Very hard to move the Barracuda
around with no interior, windows, engine and trans. 2 or 3 guys
might be able to move it.

That's a nice size garage you got!!
What size is that??

24x36 or 38 IIRC. It's bigger than my house, lol!

Speaking of those wheel dollies...try to find something better than the ones they sell at Harbor Freight. I have them and they work, but I think there have to be some with better wheels out there, that would roll easier.
Just FYI. The garage looks good, but beware, nature hates a vacuum, stuff will find it's way in there!
You could probably just put metal tops on the workbenches you have for now, unless you have new construction in mind soon. looks like a good shop, I'm jealous.
Alan627b

I saw that thread on the dollies. I plan getting the good stuff when my finances allow. It'll be nice to just be able to sling it around as the need arises.

I vacuum to get the metal shavings up. They're hell on my dogs paws and on my knees. Yeah, the dust and dirt here just blows in and fall is the worse. I did rock my my driveway to help keep it down.

I'm building a metal work bench out of structural I-beam. It's going to be pretty cool. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Thanks for the kudos on the shop!

Actually that is not your garage. The dogs will let you use it on occasion tho!
LOL Mine is not that near yet but I'm working on it! Mike

Congrats ramcharger

Nothing wrong with those wood work benches. They look great!

If you buy dollies to move the Duster around...get some good ones.

I bought some from Harbor Freight. Very hard to move the Barracuda
around with no interior, windows, engine and trans. 2 or 3 guys
might be able to move it.

Thanks for the compliment on the workbenches. The tops are screwed in from the bottom so they can be easily replaced. They are strong as hell. I can jump up and down on them @ 210 lbs and they don't budge. I could stack 'em with heads and engine blocks if I so desired. I attached a pic of the framing underneath to give you an idea. Don't forget that there's a 3/4" plywood layer and 3/4" norboard layer on top of that.

I'm renting this place so I did what I could without making permanent changes with the exception of the electrical. It was all 16 ga aluminum wire so I replaced it all with 12/2 copper and 20A outlets, plus added a bunch of lighting and routed/gounded the circuits correctly. You wouldn't believe the stuff I found. I'm amazed it didn't burn down years ago.

Still, it's nothing like your garage my friend!!

IMG_0183.jpg

Actually that is not your garage. The dogs will let you use it on occasion tho!
LOL Mine is not that near yet but I'm working on it! Mike

If I can only teach them to do bodywork while I'm gone for the day! :-D Keep us updated on your workspace. :)

Well, they're both trying to get on the RC back seat, lol! Maxie's the queen though and 'aint givin' an inch.

IMG_0184.jpg

Looks good Joe, isn't it funny how much room you have when everything is put away?? I have a dream that someday I'll own a place where I can build a nice shop that will fit about 6 cars.

Lookin good Joe. Those wooden benches are just fine when done right. I built my garage in 2000 and a homeless kid I took in for awhile built me a real nice one that's still in use today. I built a couple others that needed to withstand pounding on so I just covered the top with 3/16" steel.

Your shop is looking very good! Going to make it easyer to work on your Duster.

Thanks and Hell yes!

Looks good Joe, isn't it funny how much room you have when everything is put away?? I have a dream that someday I'll own a place where I can build a nice shop that will fit about 6 cars.

I attached a "before" pic for ya, lol! Still got just a couple things to put away and the landlord still has some crap here I stacked in the corner.

Yeah man, still playing powerball. :)

Lookin good Joe. Those wooden benches are just fine when done right. I built my garage in 2000 and a homeless kid I took in for awhile built me a real nice one that's still in use today. I built a couple others that needed to withstand pounding on so I just covered the top with 3/16" steel.

Thanks Tracy, still stuck on the structural I-beam idea. I think you'll like it. 8) Right now I've got a electrical /computer/packing sit down low bench, a general purpose stool height bench and a carb building/porting bench. I just need that metal forming bench and I'm good to go.

Garage1.JPG

Your duster looks a lot like mine... torn up and in the corner :D

Frustrating, isn't it? :-D Bought it a year ago but my life changed twice and this is the third place I've lived in a year. Long story. Had to get the Ramcharger up and running regardless of bodywork.

I'm thinking about just buying this place...

24x36 or 38 IIRC. It's bigger than my house, lol!

I keep telling my wife that garages are supposed to be bigger than houses. Cars are bigger than people. She keeps laughing at me & saying yeah right.

Your garage is looking good & the room helps. When the back of my car is almost touching the door, there is about 2ft. between it & my workbench. It gets tight what a pain.LOL

Thanks Tracy, still stuck on the structural I-beam idea. I think you'll like it. 8) Right now I've got a electrical /computer/packing sit down low bench, a general purpose stool height bench and a carb building/porting bench. I just need that metal forming bench and I'm good to go.

Oh yeah structural I-beam is great. I would have liked to built mine out of it but I got almost all of my wood free so that's why I went that direction. I think all total I only have about $50 in all 4 of my benches.

-
Back