Garbage Day Nostalgia

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Back in the '60's we moved onto a street with all newly constructed ranch-style homes (San Jose, CA) so everyone there was a first-time home owner. The garbage men (always men) would come straight back into everyone's back yards (pulling the chain to open the wooden gates for access). They carried extra large cans with a hook they put over their shoulders (no wheels or anything). They would dump our garbage into the cans they carried and take it back outside to the truck. Their cans would hold probably two (maybe three) residential cans worth of trash (so they could carry it all out in one trip). There was never any putting garbage cans out on the street for easier access and we never lined the metal garbage cans with plastic. In the photo below, you can just make out the hook the garbage collector has over his shoulder.

Of course, back then milk was delivered door to door in glass bottles, yummy.

Hook.png

trash can hooke over shoulder.jpg

Our garbage man while I was growing up (early 80's) would throw snow balls at our windows as we watched him dump our cans into his truck, which he backed down each driveway. He'd smile and throw one more and go on his way. He was our garbage man for many years, and was always playing around.

We had these.

img426.jpg

Some of those old cornpickers sure do look like photoshop jobs-

maxresdefault.jpg

49ef67f4530e7063fd325170d7852bc1.jpg

Looks like they were big fans of putting an extra 2 or 3 feet between the frame and the cab.

...and look, they've got a medium duty, again!

intl-cv-main.jpg

Is it?

I heard gm was bringing back the kodiak.

Back in the '60's we moved onto a street with all newly constructed ranch-style homes (San Jose, CA) so everyone there was a first-time home owner. The garbage men (always men) would come straight back into everyone's back yards (pulling the chain to open the wooden gates for access). They carried extra large cans with a hook they put over their shoulders (no wheels or anything). They would dump our garbage into the cans they carried and take it back outside to the truck. Their cans would hold probably two (maybe three) residential cans worth of trash (so they could carry it all out in one trip). There was never any putting garbage cans out on the street for easier access and we never lined the metal garbage cans with plastic. In the photo below, you can just make out the hook the garbage collector has over his shoulder.

Of course, back then milk was delivered door to door in glass bottles, yummy.

View attachment 1715409926

View attachment 1715409927
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I grew up in the city... Pittsburgh.
I remember every MLK day most city workers had the day off except the garbage men who were mostly black. Also MLK got shot in Memphis supporting the garbage men who were on strike.
Just sayin'

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I grew up in the city... Pittsburgh.
I remember every MLK day most city workers had the day off except the garbage men who were mostly black. Also MLK got shot in Memphis supporting the garbage men who were on strike.
Just sayin'
Sad!!

-
Back