Garnet As A Sheetmetal Media

-

CudaTime49

Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts or experiences using 80 mesh garnet at low pressure to cleanup small sheetmetal patch panels. I have a couple donor fenders from my '68 and am planning to use them to make some patch panels for a set of fenders that need much less work than the originals.

Will garnet heatup and cause warping issues?

I can get any media for the job, just have about 50lbs of 80 mesh garnet in the shop?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yep, used 60 grit to clean all the suspension parts, including disk backing plates, the inspection cover for the auto trans, stock valve covers, stock oil pan, and any other parts for my 75 Dart Sport Hang 10 project.. don’t use it on aluminum. If you do, the surface will be pocked marked...

For the heavier parts I was pushing 100-115 PSI and for the lighter stuff 75-85 PSI.

Last edited:
It’s been a while since I’ve used it and I’ve forgotten the name of the supplier, but ground quartz works incredibly well. The mica content makes it a lot less aggressive than straight sand and it leaves a very smooth finish.

I warped the hell out of a 6 x 14 patch panel for a door I was cleaning before welding. Took the crown right out of it. I was using 85 psi and glass......Shouldn't have happened on paper, but it did. Go figure.

-
Back