Gas Cap for 1965 Barracuda

-

damraider

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just bought this car and the cap it had on it doesn't fit . Now I looked on Ebay but there is no way I'm paying $50.00 for a gas cap ! I tried a few places but no luck, are there caps available ?
I have a CNC machine shop and was thinking if I made a bunch of billet caps would any of you guys or gals be interested ? I'm thinking of a one piece alum part with maybe a small steel piece(for ware) for the ears. I think I could do it for $25.00(shipping probably $4.50) . Let me know as I'm going to making mine no matter what LOL!! (My time is never valuable LOL!!).

Thanks,

Steve

I'll take one for my 65 Cuda, sounds good. My gas cap looks like crap, and I think that would add a nice custom look. Let me know.
Thanks.

Well, here it is !! Let me know what you guys think (good or bad). It acts like a locking cap because I designed it to use a tool to take on and off. The cap bevels down to about .100 thick at the outside edge. I guess the only drawback is you could lose the tool, but I just like the idea of having someone have to struggle to steal it, LOL!! . Plus, I think it looks cool without that bar running across the middle. It will have a small steel insert(for wear) instead of the alum shown. It has a Viton O-ring. $34.00 shipped to the lower 48 (Canada $5.00 more).
DSCN0971.JPG

DSCN0972.JPG

DSCN0973.JPG

DSCN0975.JPG

DSCN0978.JPG

DSCN0980.JPG

Thanks,

Steve Dameron
510-785-1595

Now that's some beautiful work. I am very impressed with your skill! Have you tried taking any hard RH turns with a full tank of gas yet, to see how your seal ring does at keeping the gas in the tank? I'm guessing it works quite well in that regard, but that's just a guess.

Interesting technique, making the cap tamperproof by requiring a special tool to remove/install it. Some questions occur to me:

• Is there some kind of a protective bumper on the underside of the tool so the cap's surface doesn't get marred?

• Would it be possible/easy/feasible to make a version of this cap that has a handle built in/built on like the original?

I will very likely buy at least one of these caps for my '62 Lancer. Would probably want to buy two tools, though, so I could put one in the glovebox and one somewhere else in case the first one gets lost!

• Is there some kind of a protective bumper on the underside of the tool so the cap's surface doesn't get marred?

• Would it be possible/easy/feasible to make a version of this cap that has a handle built in/built on like the original?

No, but I will add an o-ring to do just that, thanks.

No problem adding the handle, I just did'nt like the way it looked. Let me know which way you want it. But I see your point about the tool, I will definetly keep a spare also.LOL!!

Steve

Tremendous. I'll give some thought to whether I really want a handle or not.

Now about those hard right turns with a full tank...?

Very nice !!
And some great workman ship.
Congratulations on a great peace of art.

Next = A pen star gas cap.\\:D/

memike's got an interesting idea (Pentastar gas cap) and you've got an interesting question (would Chrysler get upset). Officially, of course, only Chrysler are allowed to sell merchandise with Pentastars on it. But officially, only Bill Watterson and Andrews-McMeel Syndicate Inc. were allowed to sell merchandise featuring Calvin and/or Hobbes, and look at all the unofficial C+H stuff that was (and still is) for sale on the open market! I think this is probably a question of profile. If you go bigtime and advertise nationally in the Mopar magazines and put caps on eBay and such, you draw attention to yourself and you increase the chances of receiving a "Cease and desist" letter from Chrysler's lawyers. If you keep it low-profile, make a few caps for people who want them, and leave it at that, they'll likely never find out. Either way, Chrysler's lawyers have much bigger issues to deal with at work every day right now than whether someone makes a dozen Pentastar gas caps to be used appropriately on Chrysler products.

Now: Could ya make me one with the Forward Look logo for my '62, if I supply graphics?

Now about those hard right turns with a full tank...?

Finally got my interior finished and went to the gas station to fill up. Drove hard for 15 min with lots of right and left turns. Absolutly no leaking !! I figured the O-ring would work but you never know till you try it LOL!!

Thanks,

Steve

You could always say you wernt selling it as merchandise, but the people paying are just paying for the material. Atleast that's what my friend says who burns dvds for people.

I want one for Nikkis 66 Dart 270 but I was wondering if they all had the little circles in them or are they smooth? PM me with shipping to 98056.

360scamp, there is some light circles on the cap from machining I just took some 600 wet & dry and the lines come off.
The gas cap I got is a real nice fit.

two thumbs up for damraider

Mine came in the mail today from the ebay auction. It looks very nice and I will put it on the 66 as soon as Nikki gets home from the gym.

I have to reclock the little tab on the back so it is strait when on but other than that it is a very tight seal! NICE!!! I am going to paint it before I put it on permanent just so it wont catch someone else's eye.

THANKS!

Cool ! That why I added the other two positions for the tab , Damn Ma Mopar and her little changes LOL !!!!

Steve

-
Back